The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
Reverend Flatroc (1st gen import), Gibson Melody Maker (2003 variation), Tele Builds
5,743 Posts
Ya people tend to get 'duties' and 'brokerage fees' mixed up. UPS will charge a ridiculous brokerage fee even if the item is duty free (Eg any guitar/gear actually MADE in the USA). If you look at the breakdown on your receipt, usually over half of what they are charging you is their fees, not the duty.

You are taking a chance with insurance hassles if you have a problem shipping with USPS/Canada Post, but you avoid all those fees. And I have done a ton of transactions using USPS/Canada Post and never had anything damage. So I keep using them.

I have only had ONE item arrive in pristine shape using UPS/Fedex though. Even if the item isn't damaged, the boxed look like they tied them behind a truck and dragged them to my house.

I had one amp damaged quite badly by UPS, and it was their store that did the horrible packing. On the bright side, they will fill an insurance claim without the slightest bit of hassle of that happens.

My Reverend guitar arrived through UPS with no damage whatsoever, AND no fees owing though. I totally can't figure that one out for the life of me.

· Premium Member
Reverend Flatroc (1st gen import), Gibson Melody Maker (2003 variation), Tele Builds
5,743 Posts
I have had Fedex damage items as well. And they were over 2 weeks late getting an item to me once. While UPS is the worst, Fedex is not much better in my opinion.

The stupid thing is we pay these guys because they are supposed to specialize in deilvering packages. And they are horrible at it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.