The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio worn brown (all mahogany). When I went to pick it up from the seller the bridge pickup conveniently (for me) didn't function, so I got it at a pretty good price. On getting it home, determined that someone must have spun the pickup selector switch while trying to tighten it, then decided to extend the switch wires by about 2" so he could re solder the connections. Anyway, $25 and an hour of my time for a new switch didn't seem excessive, and I like the guitar for nostalgic reasons.

But today I decided to have a new bone nut installed - will cost about 25% of what I paid for the guitar. I know this makes no sense, but I did it anyway.

(Then I bought new tuners on the way home)

·
Premium Member
17,214 Posts
Good god, how much are you paying for a new nut?
I think it's "how much was the guitar?" here.

I remember when the satin models were cheap. Didn't end up with one though :(.

·
Registered
2017 R8
139 Posts
I recently picked up a 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio worn brown (all mahogany). When I went to pick it up from the seller the bridge pickup conveniently (for me) didn't function, so I got it at a pretty good price. On getting it home, determined that someone must have spun the pickup selector switch while trying to tighten it, then decided to extend the switch wires by about 2" so he could re solder the connections. Anyway, $25 and an hour of my time for a new switch didn't seem excessive, and I like the guitar for nostalgic reasons.

But today I decided to have a new bone nut installed - will cost about 25% of what I paid for the guitar. I know this makes no sense, but I did it anyway.

(Then I bought new tuners on the way home)
it's your guitar and if you like to upgrade why not ? if you can't do what you want with it, then whats the point of even owning it ??

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good god, how much are you paying for a new nut?
I took it to get done by a pro based on some good advice I got here. The guitar was pretty reasonably priced. I just got to thinking about this today because I have a couple of inexpensive guitars that I really like, that I may want to give some special treatment to.

·
Premium Member
2,818 Posts
I took it to get done by a pro based on some good advice I got here. The guitar was pretty reasonably priced. I just got to thinking about this today because I have a couple of inexpensive guitars that I really like, that I may want to give some special treatment to.
Tell us how much the bone nut job cost please?

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I'm Going to guess $150 for the nut and setup.

Is this the one with a solid walnut top, or the maple top? Either way, cheap LP Studios are IMHO great buys.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm Going to guess $150 for the nut and setup.

Is this the one with a solid walnut top, or the maple top? Either way, cheap LP Studios are IMHO great buys.
$125 plus tax. It's a 2001 back before the maple tops so it's solid mahogany. It's quite light compared to my Classic, and I think a little thinner. I had one that I bought new years ago and sold it to a friend, but always kind of regretted it. I think I paid around $800 back then.

I like the Burstbuckers. Guitar was in good shape except for the monkey'd switch and a scratch on one of the pickup covers plus a bit of fret wear. Came with a mint black Gibson hard case (I think the newer faded versions shipped with a gig bag).

·
Registered
11,974 Posts
I bought a used faded LP Special DC for a decent price.

I had it refinished for a good price, had the pickups and electronics replaced too.
That cost nearly as much as I paid for the guitar. Obviously, it's a keeper.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I've seen these for sale locally sometimes and wonder what they're like, especially the weight with no maple top.
As far as I know most Studios are thinner than a Standard, by about 1/4", usually it's thinner mahogany with the same maple thickness.

I think in your case, the cost of the setup and new nut could be recouped in a future sale, if that happens. Nice buy!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts