The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished the upgrade to my Samick Malibu. I think it turned out pretty good.
It went from this...

to this...

I replaced all the electronics and completely shielded it. I put in a Duncan JB and 2 DiMarzio Blue Velvet single coils.

if you want to read more about it and see more pictures, they are all here...

http://home.cogeco.ca/~sgiven/

I'm interested in hearing what you all think.

Thanks,
Shane

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Maybe it's a really stupid question for you guys but why use the shielding inside the body and on the pickguard? I'm really interessed in the process 'cause I have a strat project too and it's my first one so I try to get as most information as I can!
you did a really great job with that copper sheet!
Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to your link. That's a beautiful job.
Love the detail and clean wiring.
How's that puppy sing?

I also did a redo on my MIM.

http://www.guitarscanada.com/Board/showthread.php?t=6149
Thanks, it sounds awesome. The stock pickups don't even compare to that JB. Much more alive sounding.
I checked out your link. That's a nice strat, all white, I like it. Very clean work. I'm still a little scared to get into the woodworking/painting side of things. Maybe when I have more than one guitar, I'll be willing to risk it.

And for the record if you shield your guitar the way I did, it seems to eliminate th 60 cycle hum of the single coils.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Very nice job and a vast improvement in my opinion. I bet she rocks with the bucker now....

·
Registered
563 Posts
It may be a minor issue but if you shield runs to the bridge folcrom screws AND you ground the trem claw, you may get a ground loop and added noise. As the entire tremolo assembly and thusly, the strings and tuners will be at ground via the claw, you could trim back the shielding to just before the end of the pickguard. It will look better too (once assembled).

Andy

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Looks good.

Where did you purchase the copper foil from?
I got it from Loomis, an art supply store in Mississauga (it's meant to be for embossing or something). I can't remember the brand name of the stuff but it comes in a clear plastic tube with black caps on the ends. You'd need 2 sheets (pretty much a whole one to cover the pickguard and another one to use on the body cavity).

It was about $13/sheet which is pretty expensive, but its heavy stuff (about the same as the aluminum in a pop can) and it did the job. For $26 it was worth it.

laristotle seems to have a different kind of foil that might be even easier to work with (judging by the picture). I don't know, maybe he can tell you where he got his from.

You can use regular aluminum foil if you want but you cant solder aluminum so you'd have to find another way of holding the pieces together.

L

·
0 Posts
laristotle seems to have a different kind of foil that might be even easier to work with (judging by the picture)...
Try any stained glass supplier. I got mine from a local hobbyist.
Can't remember the brand (I'll edit when I do), but it comes in
3/8" rolls where the the adhesive side is also conductive.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah those Malibus are surprisingly decent guitars and offer a good building block for upgrades, the finished product looks great! Thanks for providing us with such good pics and explanations.
Thanks, I looked through a lot of similar tutorials before I decided start the project, I found they helped a lot so I thought it would be helpful to document my own project.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
You can also use that adhesive metal foil used for fixing muffler leaks etc. Goes on nice, it's fairly thick and it has a adhesive on one side. The I use some of the 3/8 adhesive copper foil in a couple of spots for my soldering points. It has worked really good for the ones I've done. I've got two pretty much identical strats here, one done all in copper and one in the metal foil/copper and I can't say there is any difference. Both worked out really good and the metal foil method is cheaper.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I read a lot on guitarnuts.com and learn many things. I try to put some aluminium foil with glue on a strat body in found in garbage and the result are not as good as I expect to! I remove and clean everything and tomorrow I will try with the foil tape for dock. By the way did you get some problem to stick everything in place and do you have some tips for me? Since I don't have the better hands overthere I'm open to some little help from better workers!

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts