The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: 17/10/18
My friend told me he just sold it and got his 1500$ asking price
Seems like most of you undershot... as expected ;)

I know these threads always have people replying "I wouldn't give more than a dirty sock and half set of chewed up crayolas", but I'll try my luck anyway

My friend is offering me a 1985 Marshall 2203 JCM 800 that used to be heavily modified
The amp was rebuilt by a known local tech. Dagnall power transformer. Many holes plugged in the face plates.

I'd just like a "realistic" assessment of its value according to you guys

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
$1400 if it doesnt need new tubes or caps.
Duh !..........I would have said $800 because it was hacked badly !!
Maybe more with new front and back faceplates !.......Problem is that they won't have the Jim Marshall signature !

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,107 Posts
Im in the $700-800 ish price point too.... just flip to to Budda for a quick profit if you change your mind.

Reactions: Louis and colchar

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
I have an early '84 JCM800 2203 (stock except for the grill cloth, which I am going to switch back whenever I get around to it) and I got both it and a 2x12 PRS cab loaded with Creambacks for $1400. That was friend pricing, but you should be getting friend pricing too.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I figured $800-$1000. It’s Canadian so should have the el-34’s but it’s pretty hacked. And it’s a 2203, not the more sought after 2204 (in my mind). Reverb prices are higher, but also rediculously inflated.

·
Premium Member
16,795 Posts
If you can get a replacement faceplate for it, you can probably turn it around for $1200 with proof of repairs from the tech.

Apparently I guessed high. Mine was $1100 4 years ago in need of tubes and a cap job.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
If you can get a replacement faceplate for it, you can probably turn it around for $1200 with proof of repairs from the tech.

Apparently I guessed high. Mine was $1100 4 years ago in need of tubes and a cap job.
From my own experience of selling some fine amps here or on GP , ....if the tech is well known,.....it will ad value to
the amp !....but if he's unknown or an Internet wanna be tech ,.......it doesn't bring much value to the amp !!!
People are always curious when they ask who built this !!

I sold a 1968 12,000 Replica a few years ago that had a NOS 68 Dagnall Output transformer in with paxolin board and all the same components as in the old days and it was built by Kevin Milne from Montréal but he's now moved to Calgary and doesn't build amps anymore but had awesome ears and great skills !!.......this amp was a dream amp with the Brown sound and more !
But just the fact that no one knew who
he was got me $1200 USD for a 4K sounding amp!!...I needed the money back then !

Also !.....even if some of us are not amp technicians,......we now all know what a neat wiring job is just by seeing and reading about amp building or drooling over a nice wiring job !
How many times I've read that some amp looked like if it was wired by a four year old kid !!!

Things have changed and the internet got us smarter!!

The amp we're talking about will never look good unless some serious TLC is put into it !!..........But can be a great player thought!

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
I know these threads always have people replying "I wouldn't give more than a dirty sock and half set of chewed up crayolas", but I'll try my luck anyway

My friend is offering me a 1985 Marshall 2203 JCM 800 that used to be heavily modified
The amp was rebuilt by a known local tech. Dagnall power transformer. Many holes plugged in the face plates.

I'd just like a "realistic" assessment of its value according to you guys

Couple of pics, and cheers

View attachment 226604 View attachment 226606 View attachment 226608 View attachment 226612 View attachment 226614
Did you finally make a move ?
Just curious!!;)

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you finally make a move ?
Just curious!!;)
I havent'

You can see the amp on kijiji and how much the seller is asking for it...
I don't think he'll accept 800$ any time soon ;)

Reactions: Louis

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I'd say 1k would be fair. Don't see 2203/4 amps for under a grand almost ever anymore. For 1700 it better actually be in ultra fuggin top condition.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Updated in first post, for those who are curious

Thanks to everybody for their estimation

1 - 20 of 34 Posts