The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

· Premium Member
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a Gibson Les Paul BFG Studio - 2007 Guitar of the week #25 (limited run of 400). I was looking for a Les Paul with a neck P90 and bridge humbucker, so the most common guitars would be the Futura (I think 2014) or a BFG. I was unaware of the BFG Studio until I found it on Kijiji. Despite not liking black guitars, I somehow ended up with another one.

The guitar was packed very well. I expect it was probably dropped from some distance flat on it's back or front during shipping, as the box was undamaged. The crack is not open, more finish than wood, but you know its there. I'm going to play the crap out of it until the head snaps off some day. There's really nothing to glue. I figure if you ship enough Gibsons it's just a mater of time - glad it wasn't the 335 I got from here a while back.

On the plus side, this guitar roars. Here's a bad pic.
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments

· Premium Member
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks like a deep scratch as opposed to a crack. Any keys (Allen or case lock) floating in the case when you opened it?
No nothing loose in the case. I suppose it could be a scratch, but you can feel it raised a bit. Anyway they're not such a desirable model but it scratched an itch for me so I'm still happy I bought it. I now have a beater Gibson to replace my beater Epiphone.

· Premium Member
6,327 Posts
It's a Gibson Les Paul BFG Studio - 2007 Guitar of the week #25 (limited run of 400). I was looking for a Les Paul with a neck P90 and bridge humbucker, so the most common guitars would be the Futura (I think 2014) or a BFG. I was unaware of the BFG Studio until I found it on Kijiji. Despite not liking black guitars, I somehow ended up with another one.

The guitar was packed very well. I expect it was probably dropped from some distance flat on it's back or front during shipping, as the box was undamaged. The crack is not open, more finish than wood, but you know its there. I'm going to play the crap out of it until the head snaps off some day. There's really nothing to glue. I figure if you ship enough Gibsons it's just a mater of time - glad it wasn't the 335 I got from here a while back.

View attachment 408974
I thought BFGs all had that scalloped finish?

· Premium Member
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought BFGs all had that scalloped finish?
An awesome opportunity to geek out on my newfound BFG knowledge!

So technically, a BFG is not a Les Paul model, unless it is this particular guitar, because they do not have Les Paul Model silkscreened on the headstock. You're right, they had a straight from the CNC machine carve, no truss rod cover, and wooden knobs which apparently are hard to come by. The BFG electronics had a kill switch in place of the usual pickup selector switch (2 position), two volumes, a master tone, and the pickup selector switch where the second tone pot should be. I think the BFG's omitted fret markers if I remember correctly.

There were lots of guys back in the day treated them like project guitars, and you'll occasionally find them "finished". Gibson used the Guitar of the Week program to produce one finished from the factory so perhaps it should be a FFG (fully finished guitar)

· Premium Member
746 Posts

View attachment 408974
Loctite, wet sand and polish, scratch gone

· Premium Member
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 20 of 107 Posts