The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Old school. Figure it out by ear.

I had to do that a couple of weeks ago - I had a student who wanted to learn Saltwater by Leah Daniels - a local country singer who is getting some airplay, The chords weren't available online, so I had to transcribe it myself - probably the first time I've figured out a tune entirely by ear this century. Realized I should be doing that more often.

There is a great app called The Amazing Slow Downer - slows songs down without changing the pitch, among other things. A great tool if figuring things out by ear isn't your strength.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,414 Posts
Riff station is free now. I tried it with a couple of songs that I already knew and it got them although they weren’t that difficult to figure out anyway.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Riff station is free now. I tried it with a couple of songs that I already knew and it got them although they weren’t that difficult to figure out anyway.
I'm on a quest to collect a list Canadian songs...
(I feel less emotionally attached... sing songs from away)

I tried the free version of Capo 3 last night, I'll try Riff today... Thanks!

JP Cormier is a interesting guy: He’s got the Nashville experience... once a sideman for Stompin Tom and has Cape Breton in his soul.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Is the original or a cover available on the tube so that it could give some hints ?
It helped me and much more if the singer plays chords and is alone on screen.

If not, can you reproduce the melody note for note on the guitar ? It could help find the scale/key, then the chords.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Some notation programs can find the chords and notes for you.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I have a free Yamaha app like that called Chord Tracker, it doesn’t work super well.
Yes, there are lots of free ones. I am talking programs rather than apps. Some of them work better in some areas than others, so if you don't want to pay you may have to search for one that has the options you want. Sibelius is likely the best but it is not cheap. Sometimes you can download a free trial version. Here is a link to Sibelius.

Sibelius - the leading music composition and notation software

Reactions: Bill Kerrigan

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Brilliant!
Riffstation was just what I was looking for... I've got the chords.
I've sent an email directly to Gunning & Cormier. Just waiting for a reply.

Thank you all...
Guitars Canada is a great forum!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I now have a 10 minute procedure to acquire lyrics & chords.
1. Upload the music file into Riffstation. (free version)
2. Using Dragon Dictation and headset/mic... repeat the words into the mic, while playing back the song on Riffstation at a slower speed.
3. Print the text file from Dragon Dictation.
4. Copy the chords from Riffstation on to the paper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts