The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm stepping into the home recording quagmire.
Any advice to give about how to do individual tracks?
Drum machine to play along with?

Only other times I've been in a studio it's been all three behind plexiglass dividers and playing "Live"

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Ez drummer is a good starting point for software drums. Reaper is the best DAW software for the money. You can test it free, full featured for as long as you want before deciding to spend the 60 bucks for a personal license. Individual tracks are as easy as arming an individual track and hitting record in any DAW.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
You also need a good interface. Lots of options there. Presonus, m-audio, Focousrite. You can get a decent USB based 2 input mic preamp/interface for under 200 used or new.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
For individual recording, I use a Presonus iOne which works with my laptop or iPad. Reaper is my DAW of choice. Addictive Drums 2 and Addictive Keys. The interface has a mic in and instrument in. I usually plan out the entire arrangement first in Finale, generate keys and drum tracks, then lay in guitars, horns, etc.

P

·
0 Posts
RME Babyface Pro interface + Presonus Studio One Pro software here. Easy Drummer's big brother Superior Drummer.

A pair of studio reference speakers and a high quality pair of flat response headphones are also goo to have.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I have a good computer, runs drum software, Reaper, and a Scarlett interface.

What I was going for was
How you go about tracking individual instruments.

Do you guys use a drum reference and then lay guitars, or some other procedures

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
record a scratch track for reference, something simple like guitar and vocals to a metronome/click track and then build your individual final tracks around that. scrap the scratch tracks in the end, record final vocals

P

·
0 Posts
Ok I have a good computer, runs drum software, Reaper, and a Scarlett interface.

What I was going for was

Yes drums first, set the tempo and then I use drums like a click track. I make a midi or instrument track instead of an audio track for the drum software plugin Superior Drummer.

Do you want to know how we actually record the instruments, as in mic placement? Or are you asking more about workflow?

P

·
0 Posts
I have had good luck with Scuffham S-Gear guitar amp emulator software plugin for recording guitar. It takes my pedals really well and sounds as good or better than what I can do on my own so far... And it is really easy and fast to get running and recording.

S-Gear

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
What I was going for was

I usually figure out my bass and drums parts ahead of time. I either use the beats included with the package, or write my own midi sequences. I play the bass part with the drums & click. Then it’s usually rhythm guitar parts and then leads.

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts

What I was going for was

For actually recording an album, drums are recorded first while guitar scratch tracks are made at the same time. Then it's guitar or bass, then vocals. That's how we do it and I'm sure other people do it differently.

For home demoing/goofing off, I use a garage band drum loop (if any drums at all) and then record guitars - no bass or vocals as I don't own a bass.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
record a scratch track for reference, something simple like guitar and vocals to a metronome/click track and then build your individual final tracks around that. scrap the scratch tracks in the end, record final vocals
This seems the most logical to me.
THanks

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As usual I should have searched YouTube before asking lol.
There's an entire channel on youtube called Reapertv that has all kinds of tutorials.
I just subbed and am going to be listening during my 1 hours commute to and from work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts