17,359 Posts
Love the stoptail/tom JM love.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I kind of wish the Isbell Tele didn't have the wear on the top, I'm all for relics but those road worn MIM teles look a bit too inauthentic to me. That plus while I'm big on mexi teles itll wind up being $2k after exchange, not sure I could justify that ... despite my undying admiration for Isbell.

·
Premium Member
10,445 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,123 Posts
I'm not jonesing for any new guitar whatsoever, but I find the SSS Contemporary Strat interesting. I had always thought that Robbie Robertson had moved the middle pickup on his copper-coloured Strat used in The Last Waltz up against the bridge pickup for some sort of tonal rejigging. But then in a more recent interview, I learned he simply found the middle pickup's location was physically interfering with his playing.

Even more recently, I learned that the two coils on a bridge humbucker sound somewhat different from each other. So now I'm intrigued by what Fender is aiming for with that particular model. Does the middle+bridge combination serve as a kind of humbucker?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm not jonesing for any new guitar whatsoever, but I find the SSS Contemporary Strat interesting. I had always thought that Robbie Robertson had moved the middle pickup on his copper-coloured Strat used in The Last Waltz up against the bridge pickup for some sort of tonal rejigging. But then in a more recent interview, I learned he simply found the middle pickup's location was physically interfering with his playing.

Even more recently, I learned that the two coils on a bridge humbucker sound somewhat different from each other. So now I'm intrigued by what Fender is aiming for with that particular model. Does the middle+bridge combination serve as a kind of humbucker?
This.
I've always liked the aesthetic of the last waltz guitar, but it has to sound tonally different simply from the pickup location as well

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Where did you find that out? I looked and it says the type of wood, but it could still be plywood. I am not trying to argue, just all the Squiers up to this point are plywood as far as I know. BUT- I could be wrong.
For the most part the only plywood body Squiers are the "black logo" Korean ones from the 90's and as far as I know there have been no plywood ones made since. Standards, Affinity's, Vintage Modified, Classic Vibe are all solid wood, though often 5 or 6 or more piece bodies.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Cool. I watched or read some documentary recently on Fender and they said the Squiers were all plywood. I am glad to be corrected. Thanks.
Nope. They tend to use stuff like poplar and basswood in the Squier line. Pine on the Classic Vibe 50's I think.

·
Premium Member
25,123 Posts
Oh I am not disputing that fact. I am just saying maybe that is Fender's motivation
You're probably right, else they would have called it the Robbie Robertson signature model. I guess it was one of those things where someone thought "I wonder if we did that...", and kinda liked it.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
es335's are plywood. But regular strats and teles are solid wood. Just as long as you know what you are buying. I am not sure if they are heavier or not.
Many hollowbody jazz guitars are "plywood" It juat depends what kind of wood is used in the plys.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts