The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So apparently the only audio out on my new Samsung TV is one of those digital ones which I have never used before. My fairly new Sony stereo receiver only has old school red and white analog inputs? Do I have to buy a new receiver? Fork! Would one of those converters on amazon work. Looking at Costco and Best Buy I can't even seem to find a stereo receiver that has a digital input. What are people doing for sound these days?

P

·
0 Posts
So apparently the only audio out on my new Samsung TV is one of those digital ones which I have never used before. My fairly new Sony stereo receiver only has old school red and white analog inputs? Do I have to buy a new receiver? Fork! Would one of those converters on amazon work. Looking at Costco and Best Buy I can't even seem to find a stereo receiver that has a digital input. What are people doing for sound these days?
Does the TV have a 1/8" headphones out jack? If so a 1/8" stereo mini jack to RCA cable will work.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I have a sound bar that comes with all the different connections to pretty well cover anything. Their not too expensive and could be an option. Mine's a Philips (owned by Gibson if I'm not mistaken) and was less than $100 on sale.

Sound Bars ON SALE

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a sound bar that comes with all the different connections to pretty well cover anything. Their not too expensive and could be an option. Mine's a Philips (owned by Gibson if I'm not mistaken) and was less than $100 on sale.

Sound Bars ON SALE
I have two old school 2ft high speakers that I am quite fond of. Would rather keep using them if possible.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
The other converter someone posted is $20 on amazon.
I just put a cheap bluetooth adaptor on my soundbar so I can use my phone with Spotify. That would work for you if you connected the bluetooth adapter to your stereo but other issues come into play such as keeping the adapter charged. It would be a pain if you were using it daily. I only connect to Spotify periodically. The $20 converter is looking pretty good.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it is. Although it requires running a usb cable to the tv for power.

Seems so silly. Brand new tv, less than a year old stereo receiver and no way to connect them.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts

Seems so silly. Brand new tv, less than a year old stereo receiver and no way to connect them.
I'm surprized there isn't at least an optical audio connection on your receiver,my 6-7 y/o Yamaha has all options.

What model is it ?

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
The Sony Specifications, input/output, include CEC, which googling leads me to believe might be HDMI. Any chance the green slot is HDMI?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts