The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new flu virus found in Chinese pigs has become more infectious to humans and needs to be watched closely in case it becomes a potential “pandemic virus,” a study said, although experts said there is no imminent threat.

A team of Chinese researchers looked at influenza viruses found in pigs from 2011 to 2018 and found a “G4” strain of H1N1 that has “all the essential hallmarks of a candidate pandemic virus,” according to the paper, published by the U.S. journal, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).

China study warns of possible new ‘pandemic virus’ from pigs

·
Registered
24,008 Posts
I think it's worth noting that nations with as high a population density as many parts of China can have, are particularly concerned with easily communicable diseases (just as I'm sure virology, immunology, epidemiology, and public health will quickly become the "hot majors" in every university within 50 miles of NYC, starting this fall) . And equally important, that information is willingly shared by their scientific community at the earliest possible occasion. Is there anything "special" about Chinese hog farms or hogs? I doubt it. Hog farms here are every bit as cramped as it is possible to be and still make money. Same goes for the slaughterhouses and meat-packing plants that have experienced major outbreaks here and stateside. Chinese researchers just kept an eye open for it and spotted it earlier.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it's worth noting that nations with as high a population density as many parts of China can have, are particularly concerned with easily communicable diseases

I don't know man. I used to think that too until an Indian friend said to me "do you ever hear of these diseases coming out of India, Vietnam, Korea, or similar countries?". He had a point, and the more I think about it the more I think that this is a Chinese problem. What the fuck are they doing over there?

·
Registered
24,008 Posts
I don't know man. I used to think that too until an Indian friend said to me "do you ever hear of these diseases coming out of India, Vietnam, Korea, or similar countries?". He had a point, and the more I think about it the more I think that this is a Chinese problem. What the fuck are they doing over there?
Riding up and down the elevator with each other in those high rises and taking the subway.
India does certainly have high population density, but it tends to be situated in low-rise urban slums rather than the high-rises we see in China's largest cities. I'm sure India has plenty of high-rises as well. The question is how much of their population is concentrated in them. That's why I made the comment about NYC. As many have astutely noted, one of the reasons why NYC was hit particularly hard is because of the density of Manhattan and Brooklyn. That density results in few owning cars and most people relying on mass transit and shared vehicles, hence greater communicability. Heck, since I retired and didn't have to grip a handrail on the bus five days a week, I've had maybe 3 sick days in the last 2-1/2 years. I liked to joke that the reason Hong Kong could have protest marches of a million was because most of the people lived within 3 blocks of the protest.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
For one thing India does not eat beef or pork*, so there's that. China is also much more advanced than any of those countries in terms of industrialisation, which adds certain risk factors, including cramped factory farming conditions which increase disease asmong the farmed pig population, which leads to increased use of preemptive antibiotic use, which leads to resistant bacteria and clears the biome for viruses to come in.

On the flip side of things, the study is being downplayed because this strain has been known for 4 years and nothing yet.

* in part due to large Muslim population in addition to Hindu's aversion to it; they do enjoy wild boar occasionally but do not believe in commercial farming of hogs

1 - 20 of 72 Posts