The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I've seen of this. And not some little custom shop or boutique brand, one of the big guns. Well, I guess it had to happen eventually. Not for my, but YMMV.

What do you think? Do you want a brand new high end acoustic that looks like it's been around the block and back?

Reactions: Alex

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
There is a long discussion over at UMGF thats been going for a while. Most don't like it. Although there seems to be more love for a small company called "Prewar Guitar Company" thats doing the same thing with there guitars including using Brazilian rosewood. Their aging process seems to be more attractive than what Martin has shown. Martin is doing this to their authentic series, I guess making them more authentic looking. I've already bought the 2 authentics that I want. If this aging process had been around when I bought I may have considered it. I have a feeling though that the additional price for this may have discouraged me.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I get it in the electric world (where I still prefer to do my own relic'ing), but I always thought well-heeled acoustic players would be above the poseur thing. More integrity or something. I'm afraid if Martin is setting the trend, we will see a lot of inexpensive acoustics jumping on it. And, like most things fashionable, as soon as enough companies do it (reaching critical mass), everyone will want pristine guitars again.

Reactions: kenoakee

·
Registered
630 Posts
I wouldnt pay to have an acoustic look old, I like putting my own wear marks, also wouldnt like torrefication,- builders please dry wood properly and dont scratch my guitar

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
I don't understand the whole reliced thing. To me it would be like buying a brand new car with dents, scratches and rust on it.
How so? Me, when my car gets old and relic looking I replace it with a new one and most likely sell it to the junk yard for parts. I wish it worked like that for guitars. I could pick up a 1939 Martin for $200.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
I wouldnt pay to have an acoustic look old, I like putting my own wear marks, also wouldnt like torrefication,- builders please dry wood properly and dont scratch my guitar
I'm 57. I'd love to have my guitars aged with my own "wear marks". Maybe if I take vitamins I can make it to 95 when my guitars are just coming in to the sweet spot of looking good.
Would love to have the time to wait for 100 year old growth and years for air dried. So torrefication is fine by me.
Heavy relic isn't really a thing I like but I like the idea of a thin finish with a very slight age process, almost to the point of un noticeable. It at least gives the guitar a bit of a head start. I once had a Closet classic Nocaster that had a very thin finish and a very slight wear look. It was supposed to emulate a guitar that had been kept in the closet for 50 years. Something like that in an acoustic would be a more desirable feature for me.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
I got a Hagstrom Viking for $200. Didn't like it. Sold it on eBay. Described ALL the damage ruthlessly. "Chipped and scratched from headstock to tailpin." "Dropped on tailpin and smashed in (see photo)." " huge chrome sticker on headstock says "Slongo's Music Thunder Bay" Etc.,etc.

Got $600 for it from a guy in England about the time the Chinese re-issues came out. To me it is as pathetic as paying for sex.

·
Registered
18,595 Posts
I don't understand the whole reliced thing. To me it would be like buying a brand new car with dents, scratches and rust on it.
Absolutely!

I saw the Martin video during NAMM week and just thought, "they are just doing what Fender and Gibson have been doing for years". It's just a money making process. And there are fools with money to burn who will buy them.

Reactions: GuitarT

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I don't even understand how people get these wear marks on their guitars. I've been playing the same Yamaha FG441S for close to 15 years regularly and its not missing any of the finish.

I just strummed a bit and watched my pick and it doesn't come in contact with the guitar body at all.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Like a car if I buy a brand new guitar, I want it to look brand new.
Not sure if you were ever a gigging musician. I traveled quite a bit in the 80's and 90's and have come across some vintage or road worn guitars that just had that mojo because of the wear. Yes if you're a "home only", player then likely you're instruments will look brand new for a very long time. I grew up around instruments some of which were well worn (my father played) so I have fond memories of that look. I would have no problem with my guitars having that look. However I'm now a home only musician. I take my D-28 out to a once a week jam. So its likely my guitars won't have that look in my life time.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts