The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
24,681 Posts
Like I keep telling people, Calgary is the future of weather. There is absolutely NO respect for the seasons there. Any season can show up at any time, and be suddenly replaced by a different one.

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Like I keep telling people, Calgary is the future of weather. There is absolutely NO respect for the seasons there. Any season can show up at any time, and be suddenly replaced by a different one.
probably the norm in a lot of places, not just Calgary, and probably was that way before you went back to the future

·
Premium Member
8,693 Posts
probably the norm in a lot of places, not just Calgary, and probably was that way before you went back to the future
Can confirm, at least the Calgary part. Lived there in 1970 (yeah, I'm old and decrepit). We could be tobog tobag tabogg downhill sliding one day in a blizzard, and mowing the lawn the next.

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Can confirm, at least the Calgary part. Lived there in 1970 (yeah, I'm old and decrepit). We could be tobog tobag tabogg downhill sliding one day in a blizzard, and mowing the lawn the next.
pretty sure that happens in more than just Calgary

·
Registered
24,681 Posts
It's certainly the norm in Calgary, just not the norm in many other places. But it's what other places need to prepare themselves for, now that climate is becoming more unstable and less predictable. Other places need to look to Calgary to get a sense of what preparations would benefit them.

And I suppose part of that is not packing up the boots, coats, and mittens where you can't easily get at them.

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
It's certainly the norm in Calgary, just not the norm in many other places. But it's what other places need to prepare themselves for, now that climate is becoming more unstable and less predictable. Other places need to look to Calgary to get a sense of what preparations would benefit them.

And I suppose part of that is not packing up the boots, coats, and mittens where you can't easily get at them.
I don't think its limited to Calgary.

·
Registered
24,681 Posts
It hasn't never happened anywhere else, but what elicits a "What, again?" in Calgary generally elicits an "It did what? You're kidding, right?" in most other places in Canada.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm trying to make the most of an un-planned day off... too bad the wife did the same :D

Reactions: Lola

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
It hasn't never happened anywhere else, but what elicits a "What, again?" in Calgary generally elicits an "It did what? You're kidding, right?" in most other places in Canada.
I think the more you post about it on a guitar forum the truer it gets.

·
Registered
24,681 Posts
I'm not trying to cast aspersions on the great city of Calgary. I'm just saying that when we see an end-of-newscast item on bizarre weather, it is more likely to be about Calgary, and occasionally Vancouver, than about Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Halifax, or Quebec City. Those latter cities certainly get some seriously shitty weather on occasion, but it is generally congruent with the season. So, miserable rain or hail in the spring/summer, or bitter cold spells and heavy snowfall in the winter. It is quite rare for any of those places to have snow in warmer seasons or halter-top skiing in February or March.

But that pattern is changing. For several decades, Ottawa has had a winter carnival scheduled for the two weeks in February where records show the most reliably cold weather since records have been kept for well over a century. In the last few years, however, skatable canal ice for the carnival has been a touch-and-go matter, because temperatures that were supposed to be low weren't. So yes, contradictory/counter-intuitive weather HAS been increasing in recent years in other cites. But I emphasize: in recent years. Calgary has had such oddball weather at "the wrong time" for many years now; presumably because of the Chinooks and its relation to the mountains. Other parts of the country are simply catching up. That's why I refer to it as "the future of weather". More and more places are becoming more and more like Calgary.

P

·
0 Posts
I am researching field crops that I can plant in Ontario that were not feasible due to the growing season but are now viable due to the long warm summers that go almost into October...

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
I'm not trying to cast aspersions on the great city of Calgary. I'm just saying that when we see an end-of-newscast item on bizarre weather, it is more likely to be about Calgary, and occasionally Vancouver, than about Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Halifax, or Quebec City. Those latter cities certainly get some seriously shitty weather on occasion, but it is generally congruent with the season. So, miserable rain or hail in the spring/summer, or bitter cold spells and heavy snowfall in the winter. It is quite rare for any of those places to have snow in warmer seasons or halter-top skiing in February or March.

But that pattern is changing. For several decades, Ottawa has had a winter carnival scheduled for the two weeks in February where records show the most reliably cold weather since records have been kept for well over a century. In the last few years, however, skatable canal ice for the carnival has been a touch-and-go matter, because temperatures that were supposed to be low weren't. So yes, contradictory/counter-intuitive weather HAS been increasing in recent years in other cites. But I emphasize: in recent years. Calgary has had such oddball weather at "the wrong time" for many years now; presumably because of the Chinooks and its relation to the mountains. Other parts of the country are simply catching up. That's why I refer to it as "the future of weather". More and more places are becoming more and more like Calgary.
I don't care about how Calgary comes off in the post, in Edmonton we have to make fun of it, its the law. The weather in Calgary is not extreme, its normal and totally average for its geographical location. In your neck of the woods the weather newscast focus on the wicked wild west while in our neck of the woods they focus on the buffoonery out east when it comes time for the end of show giggles. Look up the stats for yearly average snow falls in October, Calgary and Edmonton are right on schedule, nothing out of the ordinary, next month cities in Ontario take over the top ten. Saying Calgary is the future of weather is odd.

·
Premium Member
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still snowing at 6:00 pm. Supposed to keep going for another 12 hours or so. We have at about 50cm on our back deck now.

·
Registered
24,681 Posts
I don't care about how Calgary comes off in the post, in Edmonton we have to make fun of it, its the law. The weather in Calgary is not extreme, its normal and totally average for its geographical location. In your neck of the woods the weather newscast focus on the wicked wild west while in our neck of the woods they focus on the buffoonery out east when it comes time for the end of show giggles. Look up the stats for yearly average snow falls in October, Calgary and Edmonton are right on schedule, nothing out of the ordinary, next month cities in Ontario take over the top ten. Saying Calgary is the future of weather is odd.
Oh I know that. I lived there for 4-1/2 years, and was introduced to the inter-city rivalry the hard way, when my former co-workers in Hamilton gave me a going-away present of a white Stetson, before I left for Edmonton. Neither they nor I were aware of the colour-code. I also know that Ontario gets more snow than Northern Alberta. Calgary's weather weirdness, however, has nothing to do with the amount of snow (which is not out of the ordinary), but with when that snow arrives.

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Oh I know that. I lived there for 4-1/2 years, and was introduced to the inter-city rivalry the hard way, when my former co-workers in Hamilton gave me a going-away present of a white Stetson, before I left for Edmonton. Neither they nor I were aware of the colour-code. I also know that Ontario gets more snow than Northern Alberta. Calgary's weather weirdness, however, has nothing to do with the amount of snow (which is not out of the ordinary), but with when that snow arrives.
Again, nothing weird about when it arrives.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts