The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate acoustics where the two halves of the top don't match in colour.

Hate that.

How do you feel about it?

I would never buy a guitar that looks like this

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
They should sunburst or paint these...
I have some clear, some brownish colored.

·
Registered
349 Posts
It's because (most) decent tops are two piece bookmatched. When you slice the board in two down the middle and fold it open to get your top layout, the grain on either side of the centre-line can be sort of running in opposite directions from one side to the other, so the light refracts off each side differently. I guess the precise grain orientation of that particular board will impact the degree of the effect more or less. Probably a perfectly quartered piece of wood without any runout (the ideal) is not going to show much difference in light refraction one side to the other, and a board with more runout will show more (not 100% on that last bit, but I think that's how it works).

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I'm not a fan of it either, my J45 has a bit of that when you catch it at the right light. It bothered me until I played it and there was no way I was sending it back then.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
I sold this one off for various reasons the least of which was the top but never the less for the bucks you'd think Martin could at least match the two pieces.

·
Registered
501 Posts
It's like Halle Berry's boobs. Some find them "lopsided".

It's natural, and I'm pretty sure I could live with it. :cool:

Reactions: High/Deaf

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
LOL

I don't know what I find more off-putting, Halle's hairy chest or her beard. It's amazeballs what CGI can do these days, 'cause she looks much hotter in her films.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts