The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Two-Rock Combos

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Chitmo 
#1 ·
Apologies of this has been discussed to death at the forum but I was wondering, if you've really used a Two-Rock or another D-style amp, what do you really think of it? Is the clean headroom nothing like any other amp does? Are there any slightly less expensive D-style amp that can still do this?

G
#2 ·
I have a Fuchs ODS. I think it is the overdrive channel that really smokes. I used it as a clean pedal platform on the first channel, but one day I tried the OD channel and realized what the Dumble thing is all about. Loud though.

#9 ·
I've had three "Two Rocks" an EXO15, a Studio pro 22, and an original, Krinard built Classic Reverb. I've tried a lot of amps and nothing that I've used is quite the same in terms of clean. All three were different, but each had the same quality. Lots of clean headroom, without feeling boomy. My PT100 has more clean headrooom, but you'd never use it around anybody you liked. And with simple dial adjusting, you can get that glass smooth, sharp clean, to the smokey sort of clean that's made them famous. I rarely played any of them overdriven. I always felt the responded better to having maximum clean headroom, and a good OD pedal, such as an Amplified Nation big bloom or a Matchless hotbox. I eventually found myself always playing overdriven, and not needing any clean headroom, so I moved on to amps with modern drive tones built in.

#10 ·
I’ve had a two rock studio pro 35 head for 5ish years now, and in that same time have had probably 30+ other amps in/out alongside it. The studio pro isn’t as far as I know designed to be as much of that dumble sound and is considerably cheaper than something like a classic reverb. I’ve played it on many different cabs as well. It sounds like a fender but bigger in my experience, I’ve had deluxe, vibrolux, and super reverb reissues and Silverface examples and it has what makes those amps great but with more depth (or insert your buzzword of choice) also it’s been one of two amps that survive every gear purge (the other is a Blankenship Leeds 21) which is the biggest compliment I can give.

#15 ·
Two Rocks are Dumblesque. Whereas Fuchs and others just plain clone Dumbles.
Two Rock has it's own thing going on, but can definitely get into Dumble territory in the right hands.
They have cloned Dumbles in the past for people. John Mayers steel string singer for example. Both his Two Rock and his Dumble he used to keep on stage were both made by Bill Krinard. His real Dumble was usually left at home. THat having been said, they don't make clones for production.

#17 ·
Fuchs .... just plain clone Dumbles.
That used to be true but in recent years Fuchs have been making modifications to the design. Areas of the circuit where, in their opinion, The Dumbles had a weakness or could be improved on in some way. Some people say the mods make the Fuchs even better than a real Dumble. Others insist the opposite. They're still really close but not close enough to be called a clone. I guess in that respect they are similar to TwoRock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.