The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally managed to spend a bit of time on my two prizes: A 68' Princeton and a 79' Princeton Reverb. The former I got about 4 months ago, the latter about 6 weeks ago. These are, far and away, the sweetest amps I have ever played through. In the past few weeks I have practiced each on it's own with my band and once with both in stereo. Done up the right way, 12 watts is plenty of power and talk about a nice light package to haul around.

On the left is the 68' non-reverb. Electronics are all original. Even though she's quiet as a mouse, there are plans to do the caps. I made a plywood baffle that takes a 12" speaker - currently a G12H30 (Hellatone). This is the first pic taken with new grillcloth and an imitation "drip-edge" (made from a flooring spacer). Clean up to nine with just a bit of hair past that :D

On the right is the 79' Reverb. Physically stock. Had a full cap-job about 3 years ago. Also has the Stokes mod which increases the headroom a bit. Can't remove the baffle and won't alter it so I put a 10" Rajin Cajun in her. I can't begin to describe how sweet she sounds and how loud she goes. Starts to break up at four but is hanging with the band at this level with room to spare.

Just thought I'd share my joy with you all :banana:

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
I have a '74 PR and it is great.

A friend of mine has a '72 PR that he got for $50.00 at a garage sale...some guys have all the luck!!

Enjoy your amps, sweet tone in a small package.

Dave

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
That's a sweet looking pair you have there.. the stereo hookup must of sounded awesome, run any stereo effects at the time? Gotta love the size for toting around and they do pack a punch. Drool

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a sweet looking pair you have there.. the stereo hookup must of sounded awesome, run any stereo effects at the time? Gotta love the size for toting around and they do pack a punch. Drool
Thanks Paul. The last pedal in the chain was an H2O so I had chorus and/or delay in stereo. I'm going to do the Stokes mod on the Non-reverb when the caps get done (which raises the output to about 15 watts or so). With an effiecient 12 incher she'll hang on the edge of clean un-miked with a four-piece. Power-to-weight ratio is fantastic :D

Hey, how's the little Emi working for you?

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
nice setup!!

:rockon2:

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice amps! I've heard lots of good about the Cajun 10", nice choice.

I'm a Princeton fan too, but I only have one (blackface non-reverb).

Thx for sharing.
It was a toss up between the Rajin Cajun and the Ramrod. A lot of people are using the "RCs" and far fewer are using the Ramrod so I let popularity swing my decision. I couldn't be happier.

I love the non-reverbs. Thay are much different from the reverb models though - clean pretty much all the way up. Hit em' with a booster of some kind and they get pretty mean :D

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a '74 PR and it is great.

A friend of mine has a '72 PR that he got for $50.00 at a garage sale...some guys have all the luck!!

Enjoy your amps, sweet tone in a small package.

Dave
Wow, you could search garage sales for a lifetime and not duplicate that deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts