·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes you are right guys ! ... there is no other choice ... these guitars are not common guitar & they are so old that nobody knew their existences !

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'd get an epiphone.

I've done the 70s and 80s wannaby lawsuit thing a few times and it rarely turned out great once the honeymoon is over.

There are great copies out there, but way more bad ones from that time.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,745 Posts
They might both be bad & not worth it--so try them out if at all possible.

My prediction is that I would prefer the Vantage--but who knows?

neither one should set you back that much

L

·
0 Posts
The Mann may have Maxon pups. However, 21 fret neck and the strap button will probably have to be moved.
Vantage came with Dimarzios in some models.
I wouldn't spend more than $200 on either.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
I'd get an epiphone.

I've done the 70s and 80s wannaby lawsuit thing a few times and it rarely turned out great once the honeymoon is over.
Funny, I could say the same thing about most Epiphone guitars. ;)

Some of the lawsuit stuff is fantastic, you just need to know what you're looking for. Knowing the factory it was made at is more important than the country, but even then it isn't any kind of guarantee. However, I have never found the bolt-on versions of typically set-neck guitars overly desirable. So my recommendation would be to save your money and wait for something a little better, as some deals can be had on quality guitars if you are patient and have the cash on hand.

But if I had to choose, I'd go with the Vantage, just because the bridge on the Mann looks ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If you're looking for a player I'd say neither. Back when I started playing in the late 70's everybody and his brother had either a Mann or El Degas Gibson copy. They were okay as a starter guitar but overall they were mediocre at best, especially the bolt on neck versions. I still have one (1975 Mann LP copy) and quite honestly the only reason I still have it is because it was my first guitar. The stock pickups were crap as were the tuners. The Vantage guitars were a step up (I still have one of those too) but I think there are better modern options in that price range. As Larry said, $200 tops for either of those.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
The only way to really know is to try them. One might stand out or you might not like either of them.

If it were me, I would be looking for a modern set neck Epiphone SG or LP to at least compare those two guitars with.

That said, and untried, I would be leaning towards the Vantage.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
The only way to really know is to try them. One might stand out or you might not like neither of them..
I agree with aC2rs. Personally, I don't like SG's so, unless the LP is a dog, I would choose that one.

·
Registered
14,745 Posts
The Mann may have Maxon pups. However, 21 fret neck and the strap button will probably have to be moved.
Vantage came with Dimarzios in some models.
I wouldn't spend more than $200 on either.
Less if you can.
I have a 70s Les Paul copy that as my first electric.
I looked at selling it, but wouldn't have got much for it, so I modded it (Without spending too much either.)
Now I play it & love it--but I do know I have NOT increased the resale value.
So if it's cheap enough, it may be a good platform for that-mien I already had though.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Funny, I could say the same thing about most Epiphone guitars. ;)

Some of the lawsuit stuff is fantastic, you just need to know what you're looking for. Knowing the factory it was made at is more important than the country, but even then it isn't any kind of guarantee. However, I have never found the bolt-on versions of typically set-neck guitars overly desirable. So my recommendation would be to save your money and wait for something a little better, as some deals can be had on quality guitars if you are patient and have the cash on hand.

But if I had to choose, I'd go with the Vantage, just because the bridge on the Mann looks ridiculous.
Ateast a epiphone will have some form of consistency. It's not like those are unique in any way.

If you know what you're looking for so does the rest of the internet so you're already overpaying due to perceived value.

It seems the lawsuit craze isn't as bad as it was 10 years ago, but I was sucked in once or twice.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,020 Posts
Vantage did a lot more than lawsuit guitars. From bolt on to neck-through construction, they had a large range. I sold a lot of them in the early 80s and they were very consistent, easily comparable to Ibanez or Yamaha at the time (we sold all three brands).

I still have a Vantage thin-line that is unique and of very high quality that will stand head to head with any other Japanese guitar I've ever played. Easily the equal of any Orville or Yamaha or Epi Elite or Tokai. That's of course just my opinion, but I know quite a few other very happy Vantage owners that feel the same way.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Depends on what you want for sure, but when I see a guitar that has been played as much as that SG, I always feel there has to be a reason why.

Guitars with headstock repairs are hard to re-sell ime, so I never buy them knowing that. Despite the fact they might be more stable.That being said if it was a real player and cheap I would buy it anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts