The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are my first two amp builds of 2019 (both begun at the end of last year).

The first is a brown 6G3 (early 60s Deluxe) replica, built for a fellow member of this forum. This was my first complete brownface-type build, although I had previously made a cabinet to restore a butchered-up original 6G4 Fender Super.

The second is a tweed 5E3 Deluxe combo replica, following on from a couple of 5E3 heads I built previously.

Both these amps are hand-wired circuits on eyelet boards which I make myself. Both are in dovetailed pine cabinets with Baltic birch plywood baffles. I do my own cabinet work as well. My goal was to keep the supply chain for these builds as Canadian as possible. The chassis were made by Seaside Chassis in NS. The transformers are all Ontario-made Hammonds. Most of the other parts were supplied by NextGen in Ottawa, Tubestore in Hamilton, and the bricks 'n mortar Addison and KGE stores in my area. The only exceptions were the brown face plate, which the customer provided (I believe it is a Mojotone) and the knobs for both amps, which came from Amplified Parts in the US.

Below are some photos of both amps. Here also is a link to a YT video of the 6G3 (one of the 5E3 will be posted later... just didn't get around to it yet).

Hope you like them!

6G3_amp01.jpg
6G3_amp02.jpg
6G3_amp07.jpg
6G3_chassis01.jpg

Deluxe 5E3:

PTW_5E3_01.jpg
PTW_5E3_02.jpg
PTW_5E3_09.jpg

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot, everyone. Here's a video of the 5E3. I need to improve my videography skills -- getting the voice and guitar balanced, etc., but the first couple of minutes will give you a taste of what the 5E3 amp sounds like with a Strat plugged straight in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts