Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Keep waiting till a Peavey VTM 120 is for sale

Votes: 5 71.4%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stuck between two things that I want done in the near future... very near future like next couple of weeks, but I can't decide on which.

Here is the situation, my friend owes me about $350 and well I was first set on trying to find a Peavey VTM 120 and a/b both the VTM and the 5150 together. Awesome idea in my books. But then there is something I've wanted to do for a long time, send my 5150 to either FJA or Voodoo and have them modifiy it.

The modification would cost more and require me to drop some of my own money into it... not really a big deal (big pay cheque coming!! which I should save for school... oh well I can just work more during December) it's just the 2-3week waiting time. In all fairness the VTM 120's seem to be next to impossible to find right now, nothing on Ebay or craigslist.

Also in deciding where to send my amp, I think FJA might fit the bill on this one, read a few too many horror stories on Voodoo.

So which would you do??

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Keep waiting for what you want. I didn't and have kicked myself several times. There were two amps that I wanted. Couldn't find them anywhere for a decent price. After a couple of months I gave up and settled for something else. Of course, about 3 weeks after I settled for 2nd best the amps I was looking for came up on Craigslist for a steal. Too bad for me. Be patient.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Sratin2traynor is right. Wait for what you want. I've done the same thing he mentioned and then kicked myself for not waiting just a hair longer.

The only peavey amp I ever owned was an old Ultra 60 (which I think was the model the VTM morphed into) and it was a pretty damed good amp. I sold it to a friends son in Edmonton and he's still using it and loving it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My only thing is my 5150 is my main amp. If there comes a time where I can only use one amp it will be the 5150(assuming); although, with the VTM it sounds like a lot of fun to screw around with/do it yourself modify.

Also, umm I have no idea what the VTM really sounds like. Never tried one out in person. Same thing goes with the modified amp. Looks like I'm going in blind.

Thanks for the vote though.

Poll only open for 20 days

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
One thing to think about though, if you get the VTM and don't like it, you can sell it and recoup your costs pretty much. If you get the mod done and don't like it, where does that leave you? Selling the 5150 and quite probably losing more money than if you had gotten the VTM.

Just something to consider.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats true. I guess it's just a matter of finding a VTM at a good price. Well I'll continue to keep my eyes peeled for now. My band is planning on studio work in December, so either way having the extra amp or modified one would be helpful on the recording. Probably having the extra one for diversity would make more sense.

·
Registered
104 Posts
+1 for waiting for what you want.
Nothing worse than settling and 2 days later what you wanted to begin with comes up for sale at half price.
Its happened to me a couple times.
hth
Eric

·
Premium Member
16,967 Posts
why do you want the 5150 modded?

good tubes, get it biased, should be suweeeet.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I don't know how well that would work... but the Legacy is amazing. Alot better then the 5150 IMO.

If all you're after is a tight, more defined tone out of the 5150 why not just take your GE-7, ISP Decimator then get an overdrive pedal and compressor? That should pretty much do it...

I used to borrow my step dad's CS-3 and NS-2 and mix it with my GE-7 and ZW44 and throw it up front a Marshall and it worked perfectly. I could get some nice high gain metal-tones out of it while keeping the tight sound.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I absolutely hate the CS-3. Too much sound colouration! Tried it out once and couldn't give it back faster!

I use my GE-7 for shaping the distortion, and only used a couple of times. Usually I prefer just the amp going.

And Boost pedals blow! There was a huge rage about boosting with the bad monkey, maybe I'm ****ed in the head but all I got was a woofy sound and no definition. Also I want to stay away from adding anymore pedals to my board. I've already maxed out my Voodoo Lab pedal power 2 and I don't want to add another.

·
Premium Member
16,967 Posts
you want more definition and tighter low end? sounds like you want a TS.

www.bodenhamer-electronics.com - $85 for a modded TS7 to TS808 specs + other goodies. hopefully mine gets here on friday or early next week, i'll let you know how it gets on with the JSX.

but seriously consider boosting your 5150 if thats what you're after.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts