The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Garnet SessionMaster has quit working. It has made a noise since the day I got it (almost fifteen years ago). A "sputtering" kind of static accompanied by volume inconsistencies. It always went away once the amp warmed up. No amp tech, including Gar Gillies himself, has noticed the problem. It always came home and made the same noise.

I just got it out of storage, and after a couple of days it was working perfectly. Then, while I was playing a different amp, it started crackling and sputtering. It recovered for a day, sounded fabulous, and then quit altogether. I replaced every tube one by one, and also looked inside for any obvious damage. I can get an extremely weak single with everything cranked to max.

My friend brought back the Beckemer Soloist that he had been borrowing. It was doing the same thing when I gave it to him. A background "sputtering" and volume cutting out entirely. If I switch it off and on again, it's back again. This amp is all solid state.

Oddly, no amp tech ever noticed anything wrong with the SessionMaster. And the Beckemer worked perfectly for my friend.

Can anyone tell me whats going on with these amps? Seems like the same thing. The Beckemer is a really fun distortion amp, but I don't care about it at all. The SessionMaster on the other hand is a real heart-breaker.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
In both cases there are a few common possibilities such as bad solder connections, dirty pots or connectors.
The Garnet does kind of sound like a plate resistor for a preamp tube that was noisy and now finally opened right up.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you try them at someone else's house? Try to narrow down if it's something with your power at home.
Tried that fifteen years ago and many times since. Its always made that noise when cold. Every time. Every place. Except when the amp is in repair shops of course. Lol.

Good suggestion tho'.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In both cases there are a few common possibilities such as bad solder connections, dirty pots or connectors.
The Garnet does kind of sound like a plate resistor for a preamp tube that was noisy and now finally opened right up.
Sounds likely on the resistor. Thanks, JB.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.