The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am heavily thinking of changing the pickups on my guild starfire v. I’m more of a single coil fella and the two pickups I’m looking at are the tv Jones t -armomds and the ht. I played a Gretsch years ago with the ht and I actually really liked them . But from all the YouTube videos I have saw on the t-armomds has me kind of wanting them more . I like the growl of the t-armomds when you use a touch of overdrive on them . So my question here is have any of you guys had any experience with either pickups? If so what did you like better and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had T-Armonds but only vintage Hilos; not the modern TVJ version. Based on that, I would say T-Armonds all the way.

The T-Armond, like the vintage De Armond Dynasonic, is a pretty hot pickup with lots of output. Nothing better for twangin' out a melody on the bass strings a la Duane Eddy. Lots of everything in that pickup (bass, mids and top end). Wouldn't say they sound great with distortion, if that is your thing, though. I out one in the neck of the DE6120 I had for a spell.
6120De front.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
I think t armonds are more what you are looking for.
Both sound pretty good with some distortion.
Nick 13 uses tarmonds or hilotrons.

Nathan

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had T-Armonds but only vintage Hilos; not the modern TVJ version. Based on that, I would say T-Armonds all the way.

The T-Armond, like the vintage De Armond Dynasonic, is a pretty hot pickup with lots of output. Nothing better for twangin' out a melody on the bass strings a la Duane Eddy. Lots of everything in that pickup (bass, mids and top end). Wouldn't say they sound great with distortion, if that is your thing, though. I out one in the neck of the DE6120 I had for a spell.
View attachment 332284 View attachment 332284
I’m also a huge Duane eddy and Eddie Cochran fan .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts