The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I like my old TV. Its 10 years old but was a top of the line plasma. The only thing is the sound is not really clear. I can't turn it up loud either as my kids sleep next door. Plus, if I turn it too loud it starts to buzz and rattle a bit.
I was thinking of getting one of those soundbars that sit in front of the TV.
Has anyone used one?
I have a stereo, but its way too loud hooked up to the TV. I just want clearer better sound. Not louder.
Any advice would be appreciated as I watch a lot of TV and am now having trouble hearing dialogue clearly.
I don't want loud explosions, or fancy surround. Just a better quality of sound.
Cheers

·
Registered
10,018 Posts
For heaven's sake hang on to that plasma as long as you can - there is no picture available today that matches it's warmth.

Having said that, we have a Toshiba LCD in the living room that had horrid sound out of the box (as most of the new ones have). We bought a cheaper ($199) Samsung soundbar/sub combo and it has greatly improved the sound.

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Yamaha sound bar with my 60". Bought a refurbished unit from Newegg 5 years ago and no problems whatsoever

·
Premium Member
17,827 Posts
We have a sound bar and a subwoofer. I think it helps with the clarity of the sound...especially for movies. However, I'm not the best judge as we watch one or two movies per week and nothing else. I can't convince my wife to give up the (very basic) TV package we have. Sad waste of money IMO.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I’m using a small Bose sound bar which, by the way, has a setting which enhances dialog. It’s meant for news or sports I hunk but it works well for other shows and movies. Also has Bluetooth for hooking up your phone to listen to music. I think it was $250 at Costco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
25,112 Posts
I bought some nice little 3 x 5" speakers at Princess Auto the other day that I'm planning to turn into a soundbar box for the TV to sit on top of.

One of the difficulties, or perhaps shortcomings, of many LCD tvs is that they try and make the chassis only marginally bigger than the screen, which doesn't really leave much room for speakers of any reasonable size to be installed. Hence the widespread availability of soundbars.

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
I have a ZVOX 420 that sounds excellent. Downside is I can’t sync it with my cable remote and I hate having to dick around with separate remotes. No Bluetooth either, although newer models may have it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im just worried that my TV is too old to hook it up. Can they be hooked up with wires? I don't trust anything wireless.
I would hope it works with the TV volume??
I love the picture on my TV. Its a top of the line Panasonic plasma, around 10yrs old.
My buddy who is a geek is always super impressed by the picture.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
As mentioned in my other thread, I just bought a new TV. I was considering running the sound through my Kenwood mini system, but when I rearrange furniture it will be across the room so that isn't a viable option. I am just starting to look into sounbars myself, and my brother has mentioned getting me one for Christmas so this thread is of particular interest to me. When I get home from work I'll post links to a couple of models that he mentioned to me.

·
Premium Member
17,033 Posts
It was explained to me that sound bars were developed for similar reasons to AC adaptors.

New TVs are two thin to have decent speakers and people need something less expensive than a full surround system to get a decent sound.

So that’s what sound bars are, a cheap way to get “better” sound, but not even close to a surround or even a stereo system connected to your TV.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
We use a soundbar for out TV in the bedroom. It's a cheapie soundbar with a subwoofer. We got it coz the sound of the tv is really tinny. I think spending too much on a soundbar is cray. I've seen the Bose ones for hundreds of dollars. All you need is one with a subwoofer and you're good to go.

BTW we also have a 42 in plasma which is 10 years old now. The upper half of the screen is now flickering once in a while. We didn't want to replace it but I guess tv sets that last for 10 years is a good thing. We do already have a replacement for it and just waiting for parts for the cabinet we have.

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
If you have a Best Buy or Costco near you, just buy one and try it out. 30 day return policy at Best Buy and 90 day at Costco (with membership). I have a $100 one (on sale) that I use to play music via a bluetooth device and my phone. It has a wired subwoofer. The sound is pretty good IMO. Boxing day sales are not far off.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
We got the Vizio SB3651 not long ago and it was super easy to hook up and sounds great. Honestly plug and play. The connections to your tv are HDMI, optical or RCA.

We paid about $260 like two months ago and I don't see them for that price anymore. Costco seems to have a new version for much more.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys...the vizio one is probably fine for what I need. Plus, and I am not a cell phone guy at all, but I finally got one. I think I can use the speaker for my phone music as well.

·
Premium Member
25,112 Posts
Here are the ones my brother mentioned to me.

This one is rated as a good value:

https://www.costco.ca/VIZIO-SB362An...ilt-in-Dual-Subwoofers.product.100455923.html

And this one is consistently rated as the best budget buy:

https://www.costco.ca/Vizio-SB3621N...ith-Wireless-Subwoofer.product.100407784.html
"Dual subwoofers", plus the dimensions, suggest that the subwoofers are small for the task at hand. Not that one desires to have your solar plexus throb while watching the news, but normally only single subwoofer drivers are required, given that, unlike the main drivers for each channel, they tend to be non-directional. On the other hand, Vizio may have assigned each driver to a channel, as opposed to the more conventional approach of mixing the two channels' low end together and feeding it to a third power amp and driver.

All of that said, I guess listen to it, and see what you think. What matters more than design particulars is whether it sounds right for the level and things you normally listen at/to, and the room you have your set in. There's also the space aspect to take into consideration.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
So I like my old TV. Its 10 years old but was a top of the line plasma. The only thing is the sound is not really clear. I can't turn it up loud either as my kids sleep next door. Plus, if I turn it too loud it starts to buzz and rattle a bit.
I was thinking of getting one of those soundbars that sit in front of the TV.
Has anyone used one?
I have a stereo, but its way too loud hooked up to the TV. I just want clearer better sound. Not louder.
Any advice would be appreciated as I watch a lot of TV and am now having trouble hearing dialogue clearly.
I don't want loud explosions, or fancy surround. Just a better quality of sound.
Cheers
Yeah, I have the Bose system with the optional sub. Works great!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts