The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a Turntable that has a USB port in order to connect to a computer or a unit that can at a minimum, connect to powered monitors. I was looking at TEAC, Marantz but open to any brand. I would consider units that record to USB. I would like to keep it under $1K.

Thx

L

·
0 Posts
I had my stereo system (receiver, turntable, tape deck) hooked up to my computer
via the 'aux channel out' using a RCA to 1/8" stereo adapter into the 'line in' plug.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I snagged one of these (link below) at BestBuy on sale this week. I am aware that Crosley is maligned for the needle type they use and weight of the tone arm, but this particular model uses a replaceable Audio Technica needle and has a tracking weight adjustment on the tone arm. So, that seemed good enough for me. My intended use is just so that I can start buying records at concerts instead of t-shirts, my closet is so full of band shirts that I’ll really never wear. It does come with a USB cable and some software for ripping to mp3 presumably.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/crosley-crosley-spinnerette-belt-drive-turntable-cr6016a-bl/10531831.aspx?

On another note, most everything I listen to is available on Spotify (which is where I do 98% of my music listening). I used to have a large record collection (before unloading them at a garage sale for peanuts when I decided that streaming was the future), and I had some records by Jerry Jeff Walker (as an example) that have never seemed to find their way online. Is this the reason that people use USB connectable turntables and rip their own mp3’s? ie: to preserve scarce and rare recordings that aren’t available online. Or is there another 'audiophile type' reason, or otherwise that people do this?

L

·
0 Posts
Is this the reason that people use USB connectable turntables and rip their own mp3’s?
ie: to preserve scarce and rare recordings that aren’t available online.
Or is there another 'audiophile type' reason, or otherwise that people do this?
I still have my album collection (300+).
You're correct that there's a lot of old stuff that can't be found anymore (bootlegs, special release etc).
I have a friend that has 6000+ albums that I've borrowed to rip to mp3 and CD.
I also ripped my father-in-laws old german records to CD for him.

·
Premium Member
3,158 Posts
I had my stereo system (receiver, turntable, tape deck) hooked up to my computer
via the 'aux channel out' using a RCA to 1/8" stereo adapter into the 'line in' plug.

I do the same with a reel-to-reel. No need for usb.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
you'll probably get a better quality TT if you forego the USB & built in preamp, and just use your stereo ( if you have a decent phono preamp )

·
Premium Member
13,032 Posts
Turntables,... now there is a memory. Haven't had one since the previous millennia. I'm not very good at looking after too much stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
Thx for the suggestions and special thx to @Chito . I will be picking up a Pro-Ject turntable at the Queen West shop.
I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. Which one did you get? I have an older Debut III which I have upgraded the cartridge and the platter. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Nothing has more mojo than a Technics SL1200 MK2

If you're an old school DJ that is :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
Get two of them. And a microphone. That's where it's at.

Reactions: bolero

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I had a pair of 1200's for a while, they are solid turntables & sound pretty good

but my old Empire 698 sounded better.....and has auto lift, which is a great bonus. I got sick of having to run over to lift the arm on the 1200's

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I've got a decent TT but need a stylus. This thread has me thinking about reviving it

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks Sneaky.

Didn't mean to intrude. Post removed.

Reactions: Sneaky

·
Registered
499 Posts
but my old Empire 698 sounded better.....and has auto lift, which is a great bonus. I got sick of having to run over to lift the arm on the 1200's
My favorite tt. Iconic.

Reactions: bolero
1 - 20 of 22 Posts