The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Cover band I was playing for had separated and everyone joined other bands or did their own thing.

I was trying to do a ZZ Top Tribute, but found a lack of interest in players. Found lots of interest from venues, but that's another thread.

Recently the Cover band people wanted to get back , I thought "OK we sounded really good"

But Wait...they want to add the Bass player's wife.

This woman created a lot of drama via the internet with us before through the bass player.
So I said...I'm out

THen they came back and said....just one show and we'll see from there.

I thought about it then realized, that even if I still disagree she can cause havoc again, through the bass player.
It would be her words in his voice.

Nope, I'm out again.

THoughts, and discuss

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
Yeah, been there.

It was unpleasant and I've been suppressing the memory until now.

Thanks for nothing.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Was in a band were a certain member kept getting his girlfriend to get on stage and.... err, sing with us. We all hated it, and he HAD to know she was awful.... I guess life at home was easier if he went along with it.

On a similar note, I was jamming out at a local store when a guy stopped and said he liked my stuff, and asked if I was interested in joining a band he and another guy were getting off the ground. I went out for one rehearsal.... I couldn't get out of there fast enough! The other guy was a first class jack-wad! I have never been to a "getting the feelers out" session in where someone was so hostile when things weren't perfect from the first chord. He got so pissed if I didn't know his contributions, and put very little effort into mine. The original guy called a few days later to set up session 2, I lied and said I was asked to reform my old band. There's no way I'd go into a project knowing I'd be constantly walking on eggshells. Life's too short, and music is too fun for that!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Never been in a band but I would suspect any kind of group activity would be similar...sports included...bottom line, if it isn't fun and enjoyable to partake in whatever hobby we're talking about, then what's the point? We do this stuff to RELIEVE stress from our lives...not add to it.

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
Thoughts? I would do the same thing, walk away from it. I don't have any patience for drama in a band. I disbanded a band that was starting to get really established with a lot of potential gigs because I can't deal with the drama that's constantly going on. I just said, it's over and that's it. If you are sure that you are not going to enjoy playing with people anymore, then it's time to walk away.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Drama? I have had my share. The ex singer turned out to be a really irresponsible idiot. I gave him plenty of rope to gang himself with. He told me he was quitting which was a godsend in itself! A couple of months later he txt and ask me when could we get together again? I said, “you opted to quit and that was your decision”! I never heard from him since. Then before him we had a female singer who was a nightmare of a drama queen. I couldn’t handle her BS anymore and she quit too. The drama she caused would of put any diva to shame. How many times did she stop in the middle of practicing a song at rehearsal with her hands on her hips just causing so much shit. The other ppl in the band said it was too much drama and they couldn’t handle anymore. The singer we have now is just perfect. Willing to compromise and just so easy to get along and work with. It makes everything easy and conducive to being productive as a band.
Like someone said, “life is just to damned short” to put up with this kind of nonsense.

DJM you did the right thing! You walked away and didn’t look back. Good on ya!

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
That's really the rub isn't it? A good front man/woman absolutely MUST have an abundant ego. There's no way around it. So there seems to be a fine line between having an ego just the right size to be good at the job and letting the ego get out of control. Quiet, respectful, easy going types rarely make a decent front man.

·
Premium Member
11,846 Posts
Whewww. You turned down a gig. That's OK.

By the title I thought you turned down your rig. That is NOT OK!

I always wonder about singers. I generally think "What sort of person has that much unbridled self-assurance that they don't need an instrument to hide behind? Can't be anyone normal.""
Of course, there are certain examples that think we couldn't live with that unbridled self-assurance:

upload_2018-4-6_9-44-56.jpeg

upload_2018-4-6_9-45-35.jpeg

But of course for every talented, charismatic singer, someone will post the anti:

upload_2018-4-6_9-49-20.jpeg

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
What band was it DJ? There's been some buzz in the community about a band reforming, just wondering if same one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts