The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Turbonegro ticket for Sept 22nd at the Phoenix in Toronto!!! I am so excited I can hardly type. This is only my second time getting to see them. They don't make it here often.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Haha those are the dudes with that 'City of Satan' song aren't they? I got a friend who loves 'em.

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was thinking about going to see them, still could i guess it's not to far from me...but i'm to tired to go out tonight. Been listening to them and Mondo Generator(openers) today, should be a good concert

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fantastic show. Mondo Generator didn't get across the border though. C'mon (Ian Blurton's band) filled in last minute.

Turbonegro are a little hard to explain to people who aren't fans. It's best to just check out some youtube vids lol. But they are as Rock n' Roll as you can get.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Fantastic show. Mondo Generator didn't get across the border though. C'mon (Ian Blurton's band) filled in last minute.

Turbonegro are a little hard to explain to people who aren't fans. It's best to just check out some youtube vids lol. But they are as Rock n' Roll as you can get.
It's straightforward punk. What's so hard to explain about that? Maybe your friends need to stop listening to crap if they can't understand that.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is not straight forward punk in any way. They are much more of a hard rock sound. Apocalypse Dudes is a great hard rock album. Any of their stuff before that album is more punk.

And how said anything about 'my friends'?. That's a pretty rude comment. If you told someone nowadays that they were a 'punk band' people would immediately assume you are talking about popular punk like Green Day, or older stuff like the Ramones. They sound nothing like that. They have more in common with hard rock and metal bands.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I grabbed some of their tunes yesterday since I was curious... I agree that they're hard rock. They're definetly not punk or even typical rock you hear on the radio.

The lyrics are... interesting haha.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
It is not straight forward punk in any way. They are much more of a hard rock sound. Apocalypse Dudes is a great hard rock album. Any of their stuff before that album is more punk.

And how said anything about 'my friends'?. That's a pretty rude comment. If you told someone nowadays that they were a 'punk band' people would immediately assume you are talking about popular punk like Green Day, or older stuff like the Ramones. They sound nothing like that. They have more in common with hard rock and metal bands.
No offense intended, but maybe if your friends think that punk is nothing more than Green Day (sounds a lot like Buzzcocks to me) and the Ramones, they are in serious need of expanding their musical.

BTW...Turbonegro is most definitely punk. Ever listen to the Stooges, Black Flag or Dead Kennedys?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

Sorry, didn't mean to offend... Just saying that people who think that punk is nothing more than Green Day (sounds a lot like Buzzcocks to me) and the Ramones are in serious need of expanding their musical tastes.

BTW...Turbonegro is most definitely punk. Ever listen to the Stooges, Black Flag or Dead Kennedys?

PS. Since you enjoy punk, you should give Billy Childish a try (the most influential artist that you've probably never heard of)...and for honest to goodness weird, give Gogol Bordello a listen (gipsy punk, who would have guessed? Billy Childish was a big influence on them, BTW).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts