The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. So I've played guitar for over 20 years but bought a Gretsch Jr Jet Bass about 2 yrs ago and enjoy noodling around on it. It was on sale for 60% off so I just couldn't pass it up! I have a question about tuning though. My Intelitouch tuner would not work on it at all. So I bought a TC electronics tuner and it works well for the A, D and G strings but not for the E string. When I use it, it seems to always sound too low. The notes don't seem to play right. What I've been doing is tuning the A string and then fingering the 5th fret on the E string and tuning up until the two are the same. Now everything sounds right to my ear.

So my question is, am I doing this "right"? Or should I trust the tuner as my guitar playing ears just don't hear the bass notes right?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Most tuners have a problem with bass. I have gone through min 20-30 tuners... I finally found a cheap Korg tuner that works wonders for bass years ago.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If your TC Electronic tuner is a Polytune Clip you should have no problems. I have one that I use on my 4 and 5 string basses and it's definitely the best clip on tuner available. It tracks the low B and E strings with the same speed and accuracy as it does with the A-D-G strings.

You need to make sure that you've got it set to bass mode and chromatic. Check out some demos on YouTube for instructions on how to set it.

If you don't have a Polytune Clip-on, buy one, you won't regret it.

TD

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Have you tried playing around with the pickup selection or volume control? Sometimes that helps.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I use a Korg pitch black pedal tuner; it tracks well, even down to the low B on my 5 string Peavey.

I’ve heard good things about the Boss tuner pedals too; I see them regularly on bass specific pedal boards. I use a snark clip on for my 4 strings, but I find in a loud environment, the clip on tuners just can’t keep up with anything lower than the low E.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts