The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone doing when tuning a non intonatable bridge like the 54 Les Pauls?

I've been finding tuning at the 5 the fret seems to give me the best results all over the neck.

Mine intonates pretty close for the most part, only the A string is out. But because it is she's a little tempermental, and of course the G string is the G string.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My SG intonates okay except for the G string. I find I have to tune that one 10 cents (is that the term? one step on my tuner) flat to get it to sound okay both open and when fretted high.

I think that every guitar that has a fixed intonation wrap bridge has it's own little trick for sounding alright. It all depends on the bridge, your string gauge, how you pick and strum and other nuances of each particular guitar.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
You could try filing string slots into the bridge to change the breakpoint of the offending strings. If you have to add material to the bridge it could get pretty ugly.

Try it on a cheap replacement bridge first.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hamm Guitars said:
You could try filing string slots into the bridge to change the breakpoint of the offending strings. If you have to add material to the bridge it could get pretty ugly.

Try it on a cheap replacement bridge first.
It's not that bad. It just takes a little more work finding a happy medium that works completely up and down the neck. Thought maybe someone would have a few tips.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've searched all over for tips on that as well and the only one I've really found is trying different gauges on the offending strings. From what I've seen, a little tuning wonkiness is just the nature of the wraptail.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I agree with changing the offending sting with a lighter or heavier guage string. My acoustic had a g sting that was impossible to tune and after changing to a lighter guage, she was all good!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
If you decide to change it, I'd recommend the pigtail adjustable, I've got one on my '60 MM, it's great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts