The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what tuners you guys are using for doing intonation setups on guitars.

I'd like to get a Peterson StroboPlus, but a bit outta the budget right now. Been using my trusty 25yrs old Seiko ST-388 analog tuner for now.

Just curious to see if anything better/cheaper...

·
Premium Member
All the usual suspects...
204 Posts
Try the Peterson iPhone app. At 10$ or so for the base version, it's cheap enough and I find it is very accurate. Add an iRig to plug an electric.

Pierre

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,834 Posts
Anything that is accurate +-1 cent will do the trick. The technology is good/cheap, so most tuners are that accurate these days.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Snark

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
I just use my headstock tuner, I'm not looking for .0001% accuracy. When I take my bass to band and step on my good tuner, I'm dead on, or close enough for rock n roll.

·
Premium Member
3,190 Posts
Anything strobe. I use a first gen Peterson Strobostomp. Very affordable used and also decent DI.

Korg pitch black would be good too.

I have one of those Seikos ( similar not the same). Hate it for setups ( ease of use more so than accuracy) but it has a mic vs the peterson so use it for acoustics if i dont have my HiZ mic w me to plug into the Peterson.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I have the Istrobosoft app and it seems to work well.

NextGen - +/- 1 cent?? That seems very accurate. I go for around <5 cents and seems to be fine.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
I use a Peterson StroboClip when I'm unplugged and which I also use for setups. The stroboclip has a 0.1 cent acuracy. Snarks are also good.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Snark? like the headstock clip-on? I have one which I like but, not sure how accurate it is...

Seiko has been a good one for years, but would like something with a lit digital display, easier to see... maybe a bit heavier. Seiko can get pulled off the table by the cord weight a bit too easily.

Would LOVE to get one of those Korg Pitchblack Pro rack tuners and mount it under the top shelf of my desk... no idea if any good but looks cool and easy to see. $$$ though.

I remember like 25yrs ago in Highschool, local guitar shop had a big old Oscilloscope on the table where they did setups and repairs. I have one of those... absolutely no idea how it works. Belonged to my Father, now gathering dust. :S

1 - 14 of 14 Posts