The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, that's right! I have a Squire that badly needs the intonation set (I think the factory took it off the checklist that day), so I'm going to attempt to do it myself, but hopefully properly!

What would be a good tuner for doing this?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
The Peterson strobe tuner is probably the standard for accurate tuners, but anything reasonably accurate will do. There is no such thing a perfect intonation on a guitar (plus the note will change with varying finger pressure while fretting too), so if you get something that will measure within 1 cent you should be good.

·
Registered
10,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm aware that intonation is never perfect on a guitar. It just needs to be better than it is. I've had the Squire for nine years and don't play it much anymore, so I'm going to use it practice setups and pickup swaps on.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Just grab a 15 dollar snark.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
11,829 Posts
Any tuner will do, I use my first gen. Polytune all the time for that, no issues.

I do have a Turbotuner too, a strobe type that is more accurate, but I may drive myself nuts trying to dial it in.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
... anything reasonably accurate will do. There is no such thing a perfect intonation on a guitar (plus the note will change with varying finger pressure while fretting too), so if you get something that will measure within 1 cent you should be good.
^^^
+1 Couldn't have said it better myself!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
butterknucket, if you have the Reaper D.A.W. check out the reatune plugin that comes with it. It's extremely accurate and it's the only tuner I use when playing my guitar in that software.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
If I recall correctly, the human ear can hear a 2 cent difference. The old TU tuners were 3. The new TU3 is 1 cent.

I have a couple I use, usually just use the Peterson strobe app on my phone.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
With today's technology it's pretty easy (and cheap) to find a tuner accurate within 1 cent. If you notice when you pluck a string with a tuner on the guitar, it varies in pitch a bit as is. 1 cent is 1/100 of a semi tone, laid out logarithmically between the frets the same way the frets themselves are. Given that the pitch of a fretted note will vary a lot just by inconsistent pressure applied by your finger, don't sweat it too much. I would like a Peterson, but I don't think that will improve things much, I just think it's cool to see the little indicator spinning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts