The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
-I'm a fan of Svetlana 6L6s.
-I use JJ 6V6s exclusively, they are built like a tank but sound like a 6V6/6L6 crossbread.
-Sovtek 12AX7LPS is a higher gain tube that sounds pretty good.
-JJ ECC803S is a great tube for low gain applications, real sweet sounding tube.

Of course my real favorite preamp tubes are NOS GE 12AX7s and NOS Mullard CV4024(12AT7s) and NOS RCA 12AY7s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can't go wrong with Electro Harmonix or JJ tubes. A guy did a posting on HC where he a/b'd a load of different preamp tubes and there was little difference in sound - Some were slightly brighter than others. Big deal. haha:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
"Swearing by" any one particular mfg of tubes is probably not a good idea. I've had headaches from thinking similarly in the past. Sometimes tube mfgs just put out crummy tubes; sometimes it's due to a bad batch but other times it's a longer-term problem too.

In any case, I do like the JJ 6V6 for the same reason Jeff does. I'm looking forward to trying the new Tung Sol 6V6 too since it's supposed to be really good. And I have no problems with Ruby or EH 6V6s in terms of their sound, although I feel more comfortable using JJs since they're rated for higher voltage and current.

EL34, I guess I'm on the fence. I like EH, Svetlana and SED about equally. JJ EL34 and E34L are next, and I'd probably have kept using them if I hadn't had all kinds of problems with them about a year ago.

For 12AX7 tubes, I'd say the Sovtek 12AX7WC is my current favorite. It seems to suit any amp I put them in and doesn't necessarily favor higher or lower gain designs. It also has a nice balance of warmth and articulation. It reminds me of the Sovtek 12AX7LPS but unlike the LPS it can be used in cathode follower positions without dying in a week. (Note: never use Sovtek 12AX7LPS in a cathode follower stage unless you're reasonably certain the cathode-to-heater voltage is fairly low, around 100V or lower. If you're unsure what that means, maybe avoid it just to be sure. :) ) I'm honestly surprised more people don't use the 12AX7WC.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
James, have you tried the Tung Sol 12AX7 yet? Thoughts?
Nosireebob. Not yet. From what some others have said it's left me wondering if I'd like it or not, so I haven't been enthusiastic to try it. However on my next Newsensor order I'll probably grab a few anyway (along with the Tung Sol 6V6).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hey James,

where do you get the sovtek 12AXTWC's from? I may try them in my prosonic.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Personally I prefer either the SED EL34's or the JJ E34L's as a first choice, and probably the Shuguang EL34-B as a second choice. I find the EHX EL34's to be very musical but a little to fizzy for my tastes. I have never played a Sovtek power tube that I liked, but I don't mind their preamp tubes. For 6L6's I prefer the JJ 6L6GC and some NOS RCA 6L6's that I tried in a 60's bandmaster a few times were outstanding.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I really like the sound of JJ EL34L's in my TSL100, but that's one of the best upgrades you can make to that amp :)

I dig the JJ ECC83S and ECC803S tubes for that amp as well, but I haven't done much experimenting. I've played with tossing in an EH 12AT7 and one Shuguang 12AX7 in different positions. I actually just picked up a GT 12AX7 Mullard reissue and I couldn't believe the difference it made just in V1. The amp sounds way more open and less compressed, and it's just way more "Marshall-y" to my ears. Hopefully I won't have the reliability problem most people have.

I've just gotten a Laney VC30 as well, and it's running Sovtek EL84's which sound great. Although, I've heard great things about the JJ EL84's and I'd like to give those a go eventually.

·
Registered
48 Posts
For EL34s.. So far I like the SED EL34 the best. very tight & crisp sounding

For 6L6s.. I like the JJ 6L6GCs.. very tight and has a nice throaty meaty sound to it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When you're this big said:
Hey James,

where do you get the sovtek 12AXTWC's from? I may try them in my prosonic.
Hi David. I get the 12AX7WC from Newsensor. I tend to have them on hand since they're my default 12AX7, so if you want to buy a couple from me I can supply them. I just can't give wicked prices on them, since I don't move enough of them to be buying that many (plus with the brokerage and shipping I pay on them, well you know). I can sell them for a similar price of buying an EH or Sovtek 12AX7 from a local music store anyway.

Gimme a call if'n ya want some. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
imbackagain2 said:
Ive got groove tubes in my crate and they are real and they are spectacular
Which ones. GT generally doesn't make tubes; they re-brand other companies' tubes. Except for a couple tubes they "make themselves" (to varying degrees, still open to interpretation evidently).

·
Registered
166 Posts
To be honest with you I am not sure. A buddy of mine has the same amp and he told me that they have groove tubes in them.

Quick research they're a pair of EL34 tubes. BUt I don't know who makes them. I googled it and got Amperex/Philips Holland EL34

·
Registered
93 Posts
imbackagain2 said:
Quick research they're a pair of EL34 tubes. BUt I don't know who makes them. I googled it and got Amperex/Philips Holland EL34
Did you just google "Groove Tubes EL34" though? I'm betting if you bought GT EL34s recently they're not made by those manufacturers. GT gets their tubes from JJ, Newsensor, Svetlana and so forth these days.

·
Registered
166 Posts
NO i went on the crate website cause thats what my amp is and it says it's loaded with a pair of el34. IM starrting to think my friend was wrong and that they arent grove tubes but the other kind that i mentioned. I haven't had to replace them yet so Im not 100% sure. Whatever they are they sound great though.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Imbackagain2, I have the same amp as you. They come stock with GTs, 4 12ax7a in the pre and 2 el34 in the power section. They do sound good but I may replace mine with JJs , I,va always had good luck with them. My amp also has the Tone Tubby speaker (it has "A Brown Sound Inc.") sticker on the back. I know some come with Celestions too.

Tarl

·
Registered
52 Posts
My favorites:

12ax7: RFT (NOS), Bugle boy (NOS Amperex), tesla(NOS), Mullard I61 and I63, Ge7025, Sylvania Jan 12ax7wa for the VH vibes, Telefunken smooth plate for a driver position

For New production 12ax7s :not many, Tung-Sol (new sensor)

el34:most NOS brand, xf2 (Mullard), Siemen RFT, etc..

For new Production el34: the only one I would go with is the Chinese el34B (must be the 11th generation) very cheap and the nearest to the xf2

KT66: GEC for the NOS, Chinese Golden Dragon (also 11th generation not earlier, they die fast....) are 90% of the GECs....

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Alot of this is amp dependant. What sounds good in one amp may not sound as good in another. Sometimes you need to really try and see what works for your particular amp. I've got an ampeg that truly loves the EH big bottle 6CA7 but they don't sound as good in a couple of my garnets, the seem to like JJ or Tung Sol or Sylvania. Alot of the old fenders I have and have worked on really perform with old RCA 6l6s.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts