The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Agreed. I sold an amp and went SS for a while. I had a ad30 that ate them up and even if I wasn't gigging and rehearsing I'd have to replace them yearly. Thats more maintenance than most people spend on their car. If i were rehearsing 4 or 8 times a month and gigging, I would have to replace power tubes ever couple months, or when the idle noise got unbearable.

I think the worse part is you can buy really shit tubes for pretty cheap, but they really don't have 'it'. Pay triple or whatever it is now for some nice EI or gold lions, and the difference is mind boggling with the right amp.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Agreed. I sold an amp and went SS for a while. I had a ad30 that ate them up and even if I wasn't gigging and rehearsing I'd have to replace them yearly. Thats more maintenance than most people spend on their car. If i were rehearsing 4 or 8 times a month and gigging, I would have to replace power tubes ever couple months, or when the idle noise got unbearable.

I think the worse part is you can buy really shit tubes for pretty cheap, but they really don't have 'it'. Pay triple or whatever it is now for some nice EI or gold lions, and the difference is mind boggling with the right amp.
Sounds like the AD30 is running the tubes pretty hot. I got 2 years out of the first set of EL84s in my TEX Bernie and that was with weekly 3 hour rehearsals.

I picked up a set of NOS 6V6s for my Clark Beaufort a few weeks ago and ended up liking JJs better. Kind of bummed me out :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Sounds like the AD30 is running the tubes pretty hot. I got 2 years out of the first set of EL84s in my TEX Bernie and that was with weekly 3 hour rehearsals.

I picked up a set of NOS 6V6s for my Clark Beaufort a few weeks ago and ended up liking JJs better. Kind of bummed me out :)
Yeah it did run them hot. Something was wrong with it as I even had to hardwire the heater circuit as it melted the board and burnt out. I found a couple similar cases online.

Funny because another guy I know with the amp has never changed his in like 8 years with regular gigging. I haven't heard how it sounds though.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
Getting up there in price. What a rip off for what they are.
Ok, but everything is getting up there in price. :/

Just buy on sale from the tube store. It's either the black friday or christmas sale that is 40% off.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Ok, but everything is getting up there in price. :/

Just buy on sale from the tube store. It's either the black friday or christmas sale that is 40% off.
Thats the time to pick them up. I like their preferred 7189 tubes, so I pick them up when they are discounted.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Buy an old Traynor amp. Some still have their original tubes and yet show long term consistent wear.

Well made. .

I picked up a vintage (1967) YGM-2 today and was hoping it would have the original tubes but the ones I could see were Groove Tubes. The amp will be taken apart tomorrow to get a look at the guts and I'll check the rest of the tubes then.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts

I've heard JJ 6V6's are quite good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts