The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right
I have a marshall (mg50dfx)...lots of bite but i'm now looking to buy a tube amp that has a good low end.I think i could spend the rest of my days checking tube amps out so i'd like some advice from the fine crew here.I'm not interested in anything huge,probably less than 50 watts and below a grand canuck money.
Any advice is good advice...
thanks in advance.
I want it to cover blues to country(twang)
thanks

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
traynor...?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
try an ampeg blue diamond series, picked mine up for about 500, 50 watt all tube , no fancies but kicks ass....

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Lots of options. Fender Hot Rod or Blues Deluxe or even the Deluxe Reverb 65 reissue, Traynor YCV40WR or YCV50Blue, Peavey Classic 30/50, Crate V30H come to mind. These are all under $1K. It all comes down to what sounds good to your ears I suppose.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've done a lot of reading off this forum and reviews from other forums also and although I have personally not played thru or heard all these amps from a knowledge base of reading other peoples opinions I would say for the money you spend, or as they say... " best bang for the buck " the Traynor YCV40 WR
is an amp you should try out. People think it becomes phenomenal when you hook up a cab and swap out the original Sovteks for JJ's.
Actually I don't know jack but I do think the above reflects the consensus of a lot of players who do know.
Benee Wafers

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
just one? My never get rid ofs are:
Ampeg Vl series (designed by Lee Jackson, great amps)
Fender 69 SF Vibrolux Reverb
Fender 82 Super Champ
Garnet Rebel Combo

·
Registered
874 Posts
I know I sound like a broken record...but I just love my V 50 from crate. They make 5 watt Vs all the way up to 50 watt 2x12s.

·
Registered
217 Posts
C'mon BB that's another question entirely.
You want inder 50 watts and under a grand.
The amps peeps won't give up will more than likely fit your criteria.
Benee Wafers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dreamer aren't I benee?but you never know if you don't ask and besides prices on guitars at least are coming down for good quality and I'm not necessarily looking for fender/vox whatever.I've always leaned to the Harley theory that you sometimes can pay alot more for the name.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi BB.
O f course my post was supposed to read " not" fit your criteria.
Nothing wrong with dreaming eh BB? Without them we wouldn't have much to go on what?
Go check out the Traynor WR will ya? Thinking of one myself and would like to hear your feedback.
Benee Wafers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the reviews on that amp Benee,think i'll check it out and an ampeg jet and even a couple of fenders(blues jr etc.)I'm leaning towards buying Canadian if i can but who knows but i've always been a love at first sound kind of guy.
Thanks to all it's sort of like picking a woman you want her a little clean and a little nasty too

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
My never give it up amp is my old JCM800 4010 1-12 combo.

I use a JTM60 2-12 for gigs, I find it a reasonable facsimile, but it's not a JCM800.

Since you want to lean a little bit cleaner into the country vein, I've played some of the Fenders mentioned in this thread, and they are great. You might find a Marshall too much of a 'one trick pony' for what you need. Course, that 'one trick' is exactly what I need :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Under a grand

Why dont you try the Traynor combo's............I owned the 40 watt 26L6 version but unforutunately had to sell it. Pretty decent amp for around 700 brand new and it comes with a Celestion vintage 30. Very loud for 40 watts and easy to lug around.
Ray

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
L&M cambridge

YCV20WR CASH-720.00(15 amps)very nice
YVC40RW-CASH 750.00-not sure why the difference is so small?
Nothing really on sale as usual in Ontario
they don't cut deals with me,so i'm going back to Macaulays and see what i can do.
I'd sooner deal with MAC's than deal with the arrogance(I've bought two guitars there)I never even got a hello!
I'll build my own guitar out of freakin sawdust before i go back there.
Guess i'm sounding off,sorry.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ac15cc1

Thank you Benee for your time and your attitude,I ended up with a Vov,sorry.Guess what,there's not alot of difference to me because i'm not as good as some here and lord knows i don't practice enough.The other wake up call to me was the Tele... Benee, I just did "Bakersfield" and it was very much a joy.I have tinnitus to a small degree but i'm very happy with coming back to the guitar as therapy.I'll be at a friends house tonite and i'm sure i'll play low until i get use to the amp(we only jam).I'll be thinking of all the good souls here and trying harder

1 - 18 of 18 Posts