The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock tubes are behaving weirdly and I'd like to simply replace the lot with something that will last and sound great. Usually I've used Sovtek tubes happily enough, but I really don't keep up with tube varieties and choices. The amp is less than 2 years old. My past YCV amps (50 and 20) had Sovtek tubes but they were ancient and I don't know whether new ones are the same.

Pre-amp 3 AX7WA, power amp 2 6L6GB, are spec.

Traynor Amps

What do you suggest, and why?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I put JJ’s in my 20WR. They are “ok”. Tubes are pretty hit and miss these days.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
I also have used the Tube Store preferred series. I just wish they'd give a 'quantity' price break when buying the whole package. Because they don't (and the fact that, unlike power tubes, preamp tubes will last the life of an amp), I often use the preferred series as a suggestion and then cherry pick the tubes I need from there. I usually take the power tube suggestion and maybe a preamp tube or two, sometimes not even the ones they specify and perhaps one that is a 'matched pair' for the PI.

Worth noting that the Tube Store does have a yearly sale with good prices - I think in February? I try to stock up then because good tubes are getting pricey. Being as I've really moved toward EL84 amps and stocked up on those lately, I think I'm close to a lifetime supply by now.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Tube Store Preferred are nice for sure.

I had great success with my Traynor with Tung Sols in the preamp and TAD in the power section. Sounded fantastic. I'm actually considering getting a YCV40 again to use as a spare and I'd probably go with Tung Sol/TAD again if I do.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I've had good success with the Tube Store Preferred Series tubes.

I have their 7025s (along with a pair of JAN 6L6s) in my YCV40, and a complete set of Preferred Series tubes in my VOX AC10C1.
I'm very pleased with the Preferred Series and will stick with them for my future re-tubes.

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, some pretty good endorsements for the Tube Store Preferred Series!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Wow, some pretty good endorsements for the Tube Store Preferred Series!
At least you know they've been tested and measured. I spoke to a well known amp builder back in May and he has seen whole runs of tubes come from the factory and go bad causing a huge warranty headache for him, and reports other well regarded brands differ in quality with each batch. You pays your money you takes your chances...

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Just to note that the 'preferred series' are made by Shuguang if anyone was wondering.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Good timing for the thread for me. Don't have a Traynsor but my Fender BJ is gonna need some new tubes stat. A buddy also bought the Premium package (prefered series) for his Hughes and Kettner and mentioned they sounded fantastic. Next time I purchase will be from the Tube store.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts