The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any one knows of a Canadian Dealer of tube amp kits. I am pretty handy but don't think I can build one from scratch...a kit would be better. I would prefer not to have to deal with cross boarder issues and fees. Thanks, Jay.

·
Registered
455 Posts
+1 for Trinity!

I built his 18W kit, quality parts, great manuals that even a newbie can follow. He's also great for follow-up tech support.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I got the amp building bug three years ago.

To date I have built Trinity's 18 watt sIII, two of the TC-15's, two of the 5E3 Deluxe's, a (now discontinued) Trinity 15, and a Triwatt.

ALL of the kits are top notch, with excellent layouts, and fairly detailed instructions. Not paint by numbers, but if you can follow a schematic and layout, and correctly ID resistors and capacitors (and of course neatly solder and lay down wiring) you will LOVE it!

Stephen Cohrs, the man behind Trinity Amps is a real gentleman. He is always helpful and willing to do what it takes to get you a great amp.

All the guys here in Canada buying similar boutique amps really ought to give Trinity a try. They are amazing amps and right here in Canada no less!

AJC <--- not at all affiliated with Trinity, just a very satisfied long time customer

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I got the amp building bug three years ago.

To date I have built Trinity's 18 watt sIII, two of the TC-15's, two of the 5E3 Deluxe's, a (now discontinued) Trinity 15, and a Triwatt.

ALL of the kits are top notch, with excellent layouts, and fairly detailed instructions. Not paint by numbers, but if you can follow a schematic and layout, and correctly ID resistors and capacitors (and of course neatly solder and lay down wiring) you will LOVE it!

Stephen Cohrs, the man behind Trinity Amps is a real gentleman. He is always helpful and willing to do what it takes to get you a great amp.

All the guys here in Canada buying similar boutique amps really ought to give Trinity a try. They are amazing amps and right here in Canada no less!

AJC <--- not at all affiliated with Trinity, just a very satisfied long time customer
Ok, I know now you did, and I believe it was _Kat that did as well. I have looked at these and though "oh cool... um, how did you drill those BIG holes for the tubes?"

kqoct so, um..... yea, how?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Ok, I know now you did, and I believe it was _Kat that did as well. I have looked at these and though "oh cool... um, how did you drill those BIG holes for the tubes?"

kqoct so, um..... yea, how?
In the kit the chassis is already punched for all the tube sockets.

When I built my Dr Z stangray clone, I used a blank chassis, and used a holesaw in a drillpress to drill the aluminum. WD40 as a lubricant and the holesaw cuts through the aluminum with ease!

AJC

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
In the kit the chassis is already punched for all the tube sockets.

When I built my Dr Z stangray clone, I used a blank chassis, and used a holesaw in a drillpress to drill the aluminum. WD40 as a lubricant and the holesaw cuts through the aluminum with ease!

AJC
kqoct I live in an apartment where an air conditioner blows the fuse on the only wire that only has the one fuse kqoct

Would a hand held hand drill work? What kind of debris/cleanup does the drilling make?

·
Premium Member
17,309 Posts
kqoct I live in an apartment where an air conditioner blows the fuse on the only wire that only has the one fuse kqoct

Would a hand held hand drill work? What kind of debris/cleanup does the drilling make?
Keeps...consider getting a step bit (Princess Auto has them). The aluminum Hammond chassis boxes are not very thick (.04" to .051" depending on the size). A hand drill should be OK if you clamp the chassis well and go reasonably slowly with some lubricant. There are also "draw" cutters/punches available but they are VERY expensive. You have to drill a pilot hole for these cutters also.

Both of these will result in debris...but that is to be expected.

As others have mentioned, the kits come predrilled. You can also buy ONLY the predrilled chassis from some places...just a thought

As you know, it is not only the holes for the tube sockets that you have to drill. There are a million other various sizes of holes that are required.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The chassis I worked on are very soft aluminum - not at all like a harder alloy like 6061. They might be pure aluminum, anbd not alloyed at all.

The unibit step bits are VERY good for drilling sheet metal of any type... thats what they were designd for after all. But, getting one in a large enough diameter for even a 12ax7 or el84 will cost a lot of cash, and maybe hard to get.

You can use a holesaw (with the center guide bit) in a 1/2" chuck hand drill, no problem. But you will need to use lubricant as the soft aluminum gums up and sticks to the teeth without. WD40 makes a very good lube for machining aluminum.

AJC

·
Premium Member
17,309 Posts
The unibit step bits are VERY good for drilling sheet metal of any type... thats what they were designd for after all. But, getting one in a large enough diameter for even a 12ax7 or el84 will cost a lot of cash, and maybe hard to get.

AJC
AJC...these bits are available at Princess Auto for about $20.00. I think mine drills up to 1 3/8" diameter (from about 1/4" in 1/8" steps). They also have them in boxed sets of 3 bits and are often on sale for about $30.00 or so.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
AJC...these bits are available at Princess Auto for about $20.00. I think mine drills up to 1 3/8" diameter (from about 1/4" in 1/8" steps). They also have them in boxed sets of 3 bits and are often on sale for about $30.00 or so.

Cheers

Dave

kkjuw I will thank you tomorrow when I have the THANKS button back!

·
Premium Member
17,309 Posts
kkjuw I will thank you tomorrow when I have the THANKS button back!
Keeps..I got mine about 1 year ago (bought one for my son-in law also, who is in an apartment and uses an electric hand drill). I checked the Princess Auto (P A)website for specs and they have new step bits available (new spiral design, not as large in diameter and more expensive).

If you intend to go to P A, please call them in advance to see if they still have the older models with the larger diameters. I don't know where else you might be able to find these at a reasonable price. If you can't find any, let me know, I'll try at the local P A for you.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

Cheers

Dave
Those must be imported/made in China... the original Unibits are made in the USA and even a small one (up to 1/2") will cost about $40 or so... I have two I bought and have used for years, on everything including stainless steel. They are tough, and worth the $$ if you plan to do any kind of metal work.

Maybe the lesser expensive ones are OK for aluminum... but I do a lot of metal stuff and dont bother with any cutting tools not made in America or the UK. Just my experience thats all...

AJC

·
Premium Member
17,309 Posts
Those must be imported/made in China... the original Unibits are made in the USA and even a small one (up to 1/2") will cost about $40 or so... I have two I bought and have used for years, on everything including stainless steel. They are tough, and worth the $$ if you plan to do any kind of metal work.

Maybe the lesser expensive ones are OK for aluminum... but I do a lot of metal stuff and dont bother with any cutting tools not made in America or the UK. Just my experience thats all...

AJC
AJC..Yes, these are Made in China. I should have mentioned that earlier, especially when you stated the "Unibit" brand name. I don't think these will last (at all) if you used them on stainless or other hard metals, but I was just trying to find an inexpensive approach for keeperofthegood for drilling reasonably thin aluminum. My apologies to you for not "catching" this important difference.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
AJC..Yes, these are Made in China. I should have mentioned that earlier, especially when you stated the "Unibit" brand name. I don't think these will last (at all) if you used them on stainless or other hard metals, but I was just trying to find an inexpensive approach for keeperofthegood for drilling reasonably thin aluminum. My apologies to you for not "catching" this important difference.

Cheers

Dave
:wave: Its all good. I have bought lots from PA over the years. Some tools are softer than mud, but for the most part I am not disappointed with what they sell. It has been at least 4 years since I was last down to PA on Barton and Grey's so I think I really am long overdue for a trip :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts