The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety, but I can't take any more of Gord Miller. Despite the fact that he looks like an overfed chipmunk, he can't do a play by play without spewing out a long list of totally irrelevant statistics while the puck is in play.

I always thought a play-by-play man should be calling the action from the time the puck is dropped until the whistle is blown. Instead, this guy is telling us how many penalties some guy has got on a Friday when he was playing in the ECHL when a full moon was in sight. And this is happening when Mitch Marner is charging across the blue line with the puck on his stick!

This is not baseball when there are pauses between pitches. Hockey is an action game that deserves to be called by a spirited commentator whose enthusiasm for the speed of play feeds the viewers excitement. We're not statisticians, we're hockey fans! There is enough time between periods and between whistles to ooze out all the useless player data. Gord has to go.

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
Heard every game in my house, "CALL THE FUCKING GAME!".

Last year before I remembered to re-up the sports channels for hockey season I used the Punjabi station because they call the game and the names are the same.

·
Premium Member
8,580 Posts
So, it could be worse. Out here, the home colour guy on Sportsnet is Drew Remenda, former Sharks video coach then colour guy on their broadcasts. He drones on and on about nothing or the most obvious, and every game my family waits for me to yell at the tv for him to stfu. Every game. And I’m not particularly an angry guy, but he’s awful.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
When I miss the game I watch the Leafs online "The Game In 6" or replayed on Leafs TV.

The anthem singer for the Leafs is not to my taste, thank goodness for the mute button.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
When I miss the game I watch the Leafs online "The Game In 6" or replayed on Leafs TV.

The anthem singer for the Leafs is not to my taste, thank goodness for the mute button.
Shrill

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
On several occasions, I've checked my remote for the "Ray Ferraro mute" button. Agreed I do not need to know where every player played their Junior, College, University, European hockey. How come Joe Bowen doesn't call the TV games??

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The problem with listening to the game on radio and watching on TV is a five second time lapse. It can be as annoying as Miller and Ferraro. The guy on the radio is calling a play that hasn't happened on TV.
That Sport Sync device may be that answer, but why should we need such an item when the broadcasters should be aware of the frustrations their play by play guys are causing their viewers?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The reason they don’t try to sync the broadcasts anymore is that the delay can be different for every set of equipment.

Even every similar set-top box is going to delay the broadcast a different amount depending on signal strength.

Try listening on the internet and delaying your TV.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I agree with the too many stats thing. And how excited he gets every time he says: "In front". But, I would rather that, than a guy who calls every nano second of action. Running the risk of defaming a "Canadian Icon", I can't stand the way Bob Cole calls a game. He doesn't shut up about the things I can clearly see! All I really need to know is the guys name who has the puck, with some extra. I don't need: Marner, takes the puck, skates with it, skates a little more, thinks about passing, doesn't, circles behind the net, takes two steps, stops there, thinks about passing again, decides to skate out with it, skates "smartly" now(wtf? does that mean). SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My dad and I have theory that he has to keep talking, or perhaps the viewer might think hes dead! Thank God he's retiring after this season! About 15yrs too late! Plus I don't think he's fully aware the game hes actually calling. I swear he's going to say "What a goal by Lafleur" any day now. And the Leafs don't even need to be playing the Habs!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
THIS^^^^^^^^

It's really too bad that you can only hit "Like" once for a post. I was going to post similar 'criticisms' of Mr. Cole, but instead, I will whole-heartedly support SWLABR's comments.

John
thegrumpyoldman

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety, but I can't take any more of Gord Miller. Despite the fact that he looks like an overfed chipmunk, he can't do a play by play without spewing out a long list of totally irrelevant statistics while the puck is in play.

I always thought a play-by-play man should be calling the action from the time the puck is dropped until the whistle is blown. Instead, this guy is telling us how many penalties some guy has got on a Friday when he was playing in the ECHL when a full moon was in sight. And this is happening when Mitch Marner is charging across the blue line with the puck on his stick!
Have you ever tried turning the sound down on the TV and listening to it on the radio? If it is in sync, the radio play by play is and always has been superior because they are trying to make you "see" the game with your ears.

Reactions: leftysg

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you ever tried turning the sound down on the TV and listening to it on the radio? If it is in sync, the radio play by play is and always has been superior because they are trying to make you "see" the game with your ears.
It's never in sync down in the London Area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts