The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Well, we will study, study, study... and promise at the end of our long journey, we will make the finest instruments, that's the truth, only the truth, we swear !
Ok, then what ? Artisan luthiers using only their hands and manual tools and a few electric ones will unrelently deliver the finest instruments ?
The european luthiers have been making guitars for three hundreds years, americans industrialized the milling of fine guitars (don't forget japanese and koreans), and we will now understand how to predict results before building the guitar, while two fine instruments industrially milled the same days will not sound exactly the same... Well, science may not understand everything... Emperor's new clothes ?

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Even though I was in DND schools and had to learn French for 10 years, I didn't understand a word of the video. But Merci Beaucoup anyways.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Science is the only discipline that readily admits it doesn't understand everything. You may be confusing it with marketing.
Interesting precision, I have to say. My note began "Well, we will study, study, study..." as I know science does not bring answers to every question. In fact, it seems in the nature of science to encounter unexpected issues while studying a particular problem. These issues will often lead the original study to failure to bring consistent conclusions. The researchers will then positively see them as further questions requiring to be studied.

I actually found that topic contains a part of marketing. Somehow, science has to use marketing tools to promote itself as I was taught quite early in my career that every good study report has to conclude with a sentence like "Our results show interesting areas for further study" which is generally true but also constitutes in real life an appeal for further funding. So, study, study, study...

This report about the technologic methodology used brings no data, nor conclusions at this point. But my main point is that I doubt any lab science will significantly help three hundreds years of acoustic guitar making (with an exception : strings). So, emperor's new clothes...

Lay peoples hope science will answer all their questions. Normal. The problem is many representative figures tend to push science knowledge to row their own boat, bringing confusion instead of light, which reminds me this sentence : Statistics are to politician lamp post for drunk men, they help stand more than they shed light (sorry for the loose translation).

I hope these studies will help, but I am doubful about these.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's true :) Ladies love a guitar player. That's because women are smart. They might initially judge you on how you look but if you have something of value, they'll stick around. Unfortunately, us men are the opposite.

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
There are some things that are better off remaining a mystery. Analyze something to death and there's no magic left. I feel bad for gynecologists.

·
Registered
54 Posts
OH No ! Another Gibson Mark Kasha revolution coming (?)
Science trying to quantify art
Interesting topo with a typical french (France) documentary tone

1 - 11 of 11 Posts