The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can buy a truss rod wrench (5/16 nut driver style) in Calgary? The 5/16 nut drivers don't fit in the space so I'm guessing I need an actual truss rod wrench.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I needed one awhile ago and bought one from L&M, they had a spare in a drawer. I think they charged me $10 or something.

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
Anyone know where I can buy a truss rod wrench (5/16 nut driver style) in Calgary? The 5/16 nut drivers don't fit in the space so I'm guessing I need an actual truss rod wrench.
i don't mean to presume anything about your level of comfort with adjusting truss rods, but if you don't know how to adjust a truss rod, please be VERY careful, as you can officially wreck your guitar that way.

that being said, if the typical socket won't fit in the opening, you will need one of two different sizes of truss rod tools. most any larger guitar store should have what you need lying around that they will (most likely) give you. go see the guys at one of the local shops who can either adjust it for you or sell/give you the tool. bring your guitar with you, to avoid confusion as to whether or not you've got the right size of wrench. good luck.

if you need a guitar tech in calgary go see jim mozell (mozell's guitar service) who runs a shop out of axe music, he's far and away the best tech in the city (and imho the country), i've actually just shipped my tele to him from here in ontario, i can't find anyone around here i'd let touch my #1 guitar.

ps gillian welch kicks serious ass

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I needed one awhile ago and bought one from L&M, they had a spare in a drawer. I think they charged me $10 or something.
Dwagar,
L&McQ was the first place I called, but they don't sell them. They said they want to discourage people from making their own adjustments. Fair enough, I guess. They would rather I bring it in (and charge me $50.00!). Anyway, thanks Dwagar. :smile:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't mean to presume anything about your level of comfort with adjusting truss rods, but if you don't know how to adjust a truss rod, please be VERY careful, as you can officially wreck your guitar that way.

that being said, if the typical socket won't fit in the opening, you will need one of two different sizes of truss rod tools. most any larger guitar store should have what you need lying around that they will (most likely) give you. go see the guys at one of the local shops who can either adjust it for you or sell/give you the tool. bring your guitar with you, to avoid confusion as to whether or not you've got the right size of wrench. good luck.

if you need a guitar tech in calgary go see jim mozell (mozell's guitar service) who runs a shop out of axe music, he's far and away the best tech in the city (and imho the country), i've actually just shipped my tele to him from here in ontario, i can't find anyone around here i'd let touch my #1 guitar.

ps gillian welch kicks serious ass
Hi Suttree,
It's not a huge adjustment.... just a slight bow in the neck, a quarter turn to the right. Interesting that you'd mention Jim Mozell. This is the second recommendation I've heard this week about him. The first one came from my boyfriend..... I guess I should have listened to him LOL!!

Gillian was just in Toronto not so long ago.... opening with Bright Eyes. I hope I get to see her someday but she hasn't been out west in years and years. She's so great!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
hmm. Since every Gibson comes with one in the case, makes me wonder if they are pulling them prior to selling the guitars.

Call back and ask for Shane, maybe he can round one up for you.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm. Since every Gibson comes with one in the case, makes me wonder if they are pulling them prior to selling the guitars.

Call back and ask for Shane, maybe he can round one up for you.
Yeah, they're (Gibson) not including them anymore, I know that. I think it's probably for the same reason.... people messing around where they shouldn't be.:D

I'll call and ask for Shane. Thank you for the tip :smile:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
if LM charges 50$ per adjustment...

somebody should open a business that charges 10$ per quarter turn needed to adjust your guitar...you could make huge bucks $$$$$$

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
Hi Suttree,
It's not a huge adjustment.... just a slight bow in the neck, a quarter turn to the right. Interesting that you'd mention Jim Mozell. This is the second recommendation I've heard this week about him. The first one came from my boyfriend..... I guess I should have listened to him LOL!!

Gillian was just in Toronto not so long ago.... opening with Bright Eyes. I hope I get to see her someday but she hasn't been out west in years and years. She's so great!

well, jim is one of the best in the business, and also one of the nicest bar none. does incredible work, and i know whereof i speak, i've worked with a lot of techs across this whole country, there's very few who even come close.. tell him paul sent you, he'll make your guitar play in a way you will not believe.

a quarter turn of the truss rod is safe, and you should be able to adjust it yourself as a guitar player.. i only brought it up because the consequences can be dire, always best to remind people, lol.

i was going to go to see that bright eyes show with my cousin in new york, but it fell through... would've payed the cover just to watch gillian for 20 or 30 minutes and then leave, either (not the hugest bright eyes fan).

i saw patty griffin in your sig, too... icicles is possibly the prettiest song of all time.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, jim is one of the best in the business, and also one of the nicest bar none. does incredible work, and i know whereof i speak, i've worked with a lot of techs across this whole country, there's very few who even come close.. tell him paul sent you, he'll make your guitar play in a way you will not believe.

a quarter turn of the truss rod is safe, and you should be able to adjust it yourself as a guitar player.. i only brought it up because the consequences can be dire, always best to remind people, lol.

i was going to go to see that bright eyes show with my cousin in new york, but it fell through... would've payed the cover just to watch gillian for 20 or 30 minutes and then leave, either (not the hugest bright eyes fan).

i saw patty griffin in your sig, too... icicles is possibly the prettiest song of all time.
Hi Suttree,

I'm going to see if my little adjustment makes a difference. I might even go back to light strings and see if that helps for awhile. But if my little adjustment doesn't work, you can bet I'll be calling Jim Mozell. Hopefully he's not too back-logged with work because it's hard to part with my fav guitar for too long. I'm sure you feel the same way.

Icicles is beautiful. She's an amazing songwriter. Have you heard Rain? Another really pretty one.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFbjE7NFmUI

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if LM charges 50$ per adjustment...

somebody should open a business that charges 10$ per quarter turn needed to adjust your guitar...you could make huge bucks $$$$$$
There ya go! A business opportunity! You could call it Truss Rod Adjustments 'R Us.... or Truss Ross Adjustmentworld!

Actually, L&McQ said they'd charge me $50.00 for a 'tune up', which I assumed would include a truss rod adjustment if necessary. They're pretty good over there :smile:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I think it's crazy they aren't including them anymore. IMO every guitar player should know how to set up their own axe to their liking.

Temperature and humity changes make wood move. And your 'feel' can change too, ie how you want it set up.

Just read up on truss rod adjustments before jumping into it. A broken truss rod is a very bad thing.

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
Icicles is beautiful. She's an amazing songwriter. Have you heard Rain? Another really pretty one.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFbjE7NFmUI
very nice, i have heard that one. went looking on youtube as a result of that link, have you seen/heard gillian and david's cover of black star? it's pretty great.. do you have any idea if she's doing another album sometime soon? holy thread hijack, sorry..

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
very nice, i have heard that one. went looking on youtube as a result of that link, have you seen/heard gillian and david's cover of black star? it's pretty great.. do you have any idea if she's doing another album sometime soon? holy thread hijack, sorry..
I have heard Black Star.... they've done a great version of it. They were supposed to release a new album by the end of 2006 ( http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002274855 ) but so far I haven't seen/heard anything. A friend of mine saw them in concert a few months back when they were touring the UK. I don't know how he does it but he seems to get the inside scoop on them. He's met them a few times (he's a journalist). Apparently they have enough material for the next album but are too busy touring at the moment to get it together. That's what the rumour mill says anyway. We'll just have to wait I guess. I don't wait well tho':D

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
People need to quit mentioning Jim Mozell, it's just making it harder and harder for me to get an appointment with him when I need one. Jim Mozell bad leave him alone.

:smile:
yah that is the only downside to jim, he's so good he's really really busy. i find the best thing is to book an appt a couple of weeks ahead of time. he's worth the wait..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts