The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing a purple bursted curly maple top on a recent build. Top was sanded flat to 320 grit, stained black with keda powder dye in alcohol/water 50/50 mix. Sanded back with 320, then dyed in a purple burst with keda dyes.
For finish coats, I've used a polymerised Tung Oil, from Circa 1850. Applied my first coats with a rag, and wiped off. The third coat, i rubbed in with 1500grit sandpaper, looked incredible! Whem I wiped this coat down, i noticed 3 little round spots, probably a half millimeter in diameter each, which are pits in the finish, right down to bare wood. Stain is gone and everything. Any ideas as to what could have caused these, and how to fix them, short of sanding the whole thing back and starting fresh?

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Can you try to take a picture?
I'd guess that something was stuck to the wood when you started and then broke off with that last sanding or the wiping. Bit of maple dust or a chip or something. Wiping with a cloth can also grab at little fibres that you can't feel and pull them out.
I'd stain those spots with a tiny drop of stain applied with the sharp end of toothpick, and then continue on with the tung oil and sanding.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts