The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

Anyone here tried or lucky enough to own a Fender Super-sonic Head/Cab?

I have been looking for a Bassman head for a long time. The SS is supposed to have a Bassman/Vibrolux channel? Does it compare or should I just keep looking?

Thanks!
Bry

·
Registered
22 Posts
fender has clips of this amp here:

http://www.fender.com/products/supersonic/

go to the "hear it in action" button or something like that. From what i heard about the amp is that it has a descent bassman sound, a real thin vibrolux sound, and not the greatest volume matching between channels. Furthermore, after 3-5 it doesnt really increase in volume, its get muddy or woofer...

but hey try it for urself.

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
They have two used ones (head and cab) at long and mcquade in Ottawa for a great price (cant remember the price, but it was way cheaper than new) and apparent lots of used ones are coming in.

I've played it a couple of times, and found it did everything more than adequately, from blues to metal, but I agree that the vibrolux channel is very thin sounding. You might want to try it for yourself, because some folks really like them.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i tried one in a store and, to my ears, it was disappointing. like many swiss army type devices, it does a lot of different sounds, but none of them particularly well. this amp just tries to do too much.

but, that's just me. if versatility is your thing, it may be exactly what you're looking for.

-dh

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the amp. If your getting it for the distortion/clean stuff, there are much better amps. The Cleans on these amps are pretty good. However I couldn't get one good sound out of the OD channel.

And to Quote someone on another forum I go to.

Those who sacrifice tone for versatility deserve neither tone or versatility.
-Turbo7MN from Jam Session

-------------
With that being said go for an amp that has the best tone for you ears. I know When I was shopping for mine I found one with the best OD tone i've ever heard. it's 40watts and 1 channel. However if I roll the volume back on my guitar a little I get Fantastic Cleans ! So I guess by buying The amp for me, for OD tones I found some of the best Clean tones as well !

If you like the sound of the Super Sonic, get it. But don't go by the websites sound clips

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
With that being said go for an amp that has the best tone for you ears. I know When I was shopping for mine I found one with the best OD tone i've ever heard. it's 40watts and 1 channel. However if I roll the volume back on my guitar a little I get Fantastic Cleans ! So I guess by buying The amp for me, for OD tones I found some of the best Clean tones as well !

If you like the sound of the Super Sonic, get it. But don't go by the websites sound clips

So...what is it? I totally agree about single channel amps, I have 3 (Kingsley, Dr.Z and Soldano) and they're surprisingly versatile.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So...what is it? I totally agree about single channel amps, I have 3 (Kingsley, Dr.Z and Soldano) and they're surprisingly versatile.
haha, oops didn't even say what kinda amp I had. It's an Abriel. The Cab has a Celestion Vintage 30, and a Mojo Vintage British Series. A guy a hour away made, Tom Abriel. Sounds like you have some nice amps too, and I don't think many people would think a single channel is as veristile

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
haha, oops didn't even say what kinda amp I had. It's an Abriel. The Cab has a Celestion Vintage 30, and a Mojo Vintage British Series. A guy a hour away made, Tom Abriel. Sounds like you have some nice amps too, and I don't think many people would think a single channel is as veristile

Nice looking amp. I really like the black and white.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts