The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Taylor 114ce (Grand Auditorium) and Martin (Grand Performance) GPCX1RE. Both are essentially the same size and have a cutaway. Both felt just a touch large (I prefer concert size). But overall, the neck, feel and tone, I like the Taylor better.

Reactions: StratCat

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
When i bought my Taylor I compared it to Martin as well and went with the Taylor lol

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I spend a bit of time on the acoustic forum and it makes me wonder who sells the most guitars, Martin or Taylor. They both have strong camps of followers. I am guessing Martin as they are a larger company.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why? Not saying I disagree. Just curious about your reasons. What about the neck, feel, tone?
As I said above, feel, the neck and the tone. Overall it felt a little better, more comfortable. The neck had better playability for me, a little easier to fret, the profile was more comfy, less fretting out and buzzing when I played above the 5th fret or so. And I just liked the tone a little bit better.

I've never been a fan of your traditional acoustic guitar neck. If Taylor made some tiny modern tweaks here and there, then it was noticeable to me.

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
Well I tried the middle of the road stuff at around 2-3k, and I still preferred the Taylor. I grabbed a 414ce Grand Auditorium. I still thought it sounded better and looked better than the Martins, but with sound being in the ear of the listener, I know a ton of people would disagree with me. But I like bright guitars and this one is very bright.

L

·
0 Posts
I have a Taylor 110. I can't compare it to a Martin because I haven't had the opportunity to play one (yet).
It sounds/feels great, considering that it's Taylor's entry level acoustic.
So far the best of the 4 total that I have (and highest value of them too).
I basically only play acoustic at campfire/living room jams.

·
Premium Member
16,663 Posts
Taylors are great partially because their necks feel more like an electric guitar. The only time Ive been to Cosmo, I tried some pro level martins and taylors and found I preferred the sound of a Martin.

All this being said I have two siblings with unused acoustics and would like one of them to end up here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts