The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I spent some time with a Taylor Big Baby (BB), a Taylor GS-Mini and a Martin Dreadnought Junior. Believe it or not, I found the BB a wee bit big and awkward. The scale is also a full 25.3" I found the GS and D. Jr. comfortable and easy to play. Each sounded different but I liked the sound of both them. Both have shorter scale lengths, GS is 23.5" and the D Jr is 24". I just like my smaller bodied guitars.

·
Premium Member
18,619 Posts
Personally I don't consider anything over $500 to be "smaller budget guitars".
I think we are talking smaller (size) guitars here.

Maybe small budget also...maybe both at the same time??!!

@Robert1950 ...Are you looking for a new guitar to buy or just having some educational fun?

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
I agree the big baby is like a toy. I'm a big fan of Martins but when I compared the GS Mini to the Martin Djr it was hands down the GS Mini. I've got the Mahogany one as I found it less "Taylor bright" like the spruce top one.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
I agree the big baby is like a toy. I'm a big fan of Martins but when I compared the GS Mini to the Martin Djr it was hands down the GS Mini. I've got the Mahogany one as I found it less "Taylor bright" like the spruce top one.
+1 except I like the brightness of the rosewood GS Mini.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just tried an Ibanez Artwood AC240OPN. It was pretty nice.
Grand Concert body with solid mahogany top adorned with an abalone rosette, open pore natural finish, Mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard, bone nut, chrome Grover tuners, Advantage bridge pins.

·
Premium Member
18,619 Posts

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I would like to try an Alvares Masterbuilt parlour. Has anyone had any experience with one of these?

·
Premium Member
11,155 Posts
I'm in the market for one for my kid....she likes the Taylor/ Taylor swift models and the Ed Sheeran Martin model.
Anyone know the difference between the Sheeran old X model vs new divide model?
The Taylor's beat the martins on price, but although I'm a Taylor guy, I thought the Martin sounded better.
I did like the built in tuner on the new Swift model.....that's a plus for a new beginner IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really like some of the Canadian made guitars (Simon & Patrick, Art & Lutherie, Seagull) if you are on a budget. They're definitely not the same as a high end $2000-$3000 Martin/Taylor/Gibson, but you get a whole lot of guitar for the price. Really enjoyed the tone/feel of both the S&P Woodland Pro Folk and the A&L Roadhouse for smaller parlor sized guitars. Those mahogany Taylor GS Mini's are very nice as well!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts