The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the L&M on Whyte Ave and tried a few guitars for the first time in a few months, An Epi ES175, An Epi Les Paul, An Epi 1966 Century and a 339. Confirmed what I already know. I like small bodied hollow or semi-hollow guitars and solid bodies like strats or Fender offsets. The ES175 was nice, but too big/awkward for me.

Got to sell a couple of things, but I would love to have a double HB strat. I don't have a humbucker guitar.

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should try one of the ES Les Pauls again (Epi - can never afford new Gibson). I've always found it a bit awkward to maneuver around the Les Paul heel with anything above the 15th fret.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Good call...or one of these:

View attachment 223216
Not until Robert wins the lottery. Or if he was in Ontario he could take back the empties from my ball team’s cottage weekend.

Seriously though, a big +1 on the ES-Les Paul. I’ve owned & quickly sold an ES-135, ES-137, ES-335, ES-339, CS-356 & Heritage H-555. The smaller bodied 339 & 356 were less awkward, but as a lifelong Strat afficionado I found that the lower mouse ear got in my way. Checked out a wonderful (fat neck, lightweight, very resonant) ES-330 at Folkway this week & same thing.

But no issues with the ES-LP.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Oddly enough, bigger guitars feel more comfortable to me. It's probably from growing up playing dreadnoughts. I've always had Fenders and Gibson knockoffs for electrics, but if I pick up a big old Gretsch it feels so right to me.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I should try one of the ES Les Pauls again (Epi - can never afford new Gibson). I've always found it a bit awkward to maneuver around the Les Paul heel with anything above the 15th fret.
That’s the reason I’m doing the axcess build, can’t do the LP heel

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would like to see the access heel more available on Gibson and Epiphone models

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
Oddly enough, bigger guitars feel more comfortable to me. It's probably from growing up playing dreadnoughts. I've always had Fenders and Gibson knockoffs for electrics, but if I pick up a big old Gretsch it feels so right to me.
I tried an Epi 339, because folks were speaking so highly of them. Could not get into it BECAUSE of the smaller body. I like the wider 335. Gives me somewhere to rest my elbow.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Seriously though, a big +1 on the ES-Les Paul. I’ve owned & quickly sold an ES-135, ES-137, ES-335, ES-339, CS-356 & Heritage H-555. The smaller bodied 339 & 356 were less awkward, but as a lifelong Strat afficionado I found that the lower mouse ear got in my way.
But no issues with the ES-LP.
That is a lot of nice Gibsons for a LP aficionado +1

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
That is a lot of nice Gibsons for a LP aficionado +1
FTR they were not all at the same time. I love the look of a blonde dot neck 335 & have always been a sucker for an ebony board, so I kept buying one in an attempt to bond with something from the ES family. Alas the cubes associated with games of chance were absent.

·
Premium Member
4,494 Posts
Went to the L&M on Whyte Ave and tried a few guitars for the first time in a few months, An Epi ES175, An Epi Les Paul, An Epi 1966 Century and a 339. Confirmed what I already know. I like small bodied hollow or semi-hollow guitars and solid bodies like strats or Fender offsets. The ES175 was nice, but too big/awkward for me.

Got to sell a couple of things, but I would love to have a double HB strat. I don't have a humbucker guitar.
I hear you. This was my second Fender guitar and I love it. It's a 2000 Big Apple with Seymours in the neck and bridge. If you can find one, they are quite amazing sound-wise.

fender-big-apple-stratocaster_30476450483_o.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've said it here before but I would definitely try the hollowbodys in the Godin lineup if you can live without the Gibson name.
If Godin would make a thinline full hollowbody with width no more than 15" and radius no flatter than 12", then I am in.

Reactions: WhiteFalcon

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Checked out a wonderful (fat neck, lightweight, very resonant) ES-330 at Folkway this week & same thing.
I have a 58 RI 330 that I love...but access to the upper register is really restrictive. I'll be halfway through a song and... oh, shit I can't play up here. For those that have never experienced a 330, it's neck joins the body at the 16th fret while a 335 joins at the 19th. 3 frets makes a lot of difference. But I still love her.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts