The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I got a TRIC case with my new Seagull Artist Studio CW Element (yes, I should start a NAGD on that 'cuz a local store has some 'SF's (cosmetic factory seconds) on sale for $799 w TRIC case, and this beats out a LOT of much higher priced brand acoustics!) However, wow its like walking into a chemical factory in there when you open the case -- can't recall that level on anything else I had... FWIW, I opened a few others at the store and... 'oooh that smell, can't you smell that smell'! Don't know if its the glue or material (or both), but its pretty pungent to my olfactory organ...

As the guitar/case came right out of the factory shipping box, the Artist Studio has a bit of residue smell as well that I hope will clear now that its out of the case. I figure I'll keep the TRIC case open for a while and keep the guitar elsewhere -- hopefully the case will off-gas to a decent level. If anyone has a method of speeding up the process I'd sure like to know about it!!

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
It doesn't last long, especially if you can leave them open and in the open air for a while. Ymmv.

L

·
0 Posts
Inform the store where you bought it.
Just in case the smell doesn't go away.
Ask if they'll offer an exchange?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Which TRIC case? I have had 3 versions. My latest Black Delux (2 years old) has no down side including chemical odour.
The polyproplyene dosnt have a smell. It's either the glue holding the carpet down or the guitar. The case does seal air tight when it's closed. With the weather changing I would do a little experimenting like eliminate the guitar as the odour source or just air the case out.

·
Premium Member
4,469 Posts
Yes, leave it open outside as much as possible. Dont know f all the smell will go away but worth a shot. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
8,513 Posts
I believe heat speeds up the process. Heat + plus a hyroxyl generator would work best. You can rent them.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
It smells you say ! 8-/
Got a few experiences over the years... 8-(
A brand new archtop HSC smelt glue for months !
A brand new Martin D-35 also smelt glue (instead of wood as many used to say) !
An old Gibson Lg-0 smelt incense for months every time I played it ! It finally vanished...
My Larrivée OM-09 still smells almond, while my Taylor GS-5 still smells olive !
These add to the pleasure of playing them... :)
Fortunately, I got no one smelling disgusting old cigarette smoke ! :)

Let it breathe in the cold garage... or in basement... as a great wine, bro ! ;-)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the contributions! Finally a decently warm and sunny day here on the left coast, so I'll start the outdoor airing today!

Gary787 -- how old is the case? Dunno, I assume it is relatively recent manufacture (its the zippered deluxe case) but I have no way of decoding that 12-digit s/n in the guitar, which as you know doesn't indicate anything about date of manufacture...

FWIW, I'll be attending a local 'clinic' with Robert Godin in a couple of weeks so can ask 'the boss' about this as well -- hopefully off-gassing is done by then!

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Thanks for the contributions! Finally a decently warm and sunny day here on the left coast, so I'll start the outdoor airing today!

Gary787 -- how old is the case? Dunno, I assume it is relatively recent manufacture (its the zippered deluxe case) but I have no way of decoding that 12-digit s/n in the guitar, which as you know doesn't indicate anything about date of manufacture...

FWIW, I'll be attending a local 'clinic' with Robert Godin in a couple of weeks so can ask 'the boss' about this as well -- hopefully off-gassing is done by then!
If you want the serial decoded, just email [email protected]

Michel typically replies within a day or so with the info on the guitar.

Congrats on the new guitar BTW

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
  • TRIC
    The revolution is coming?

Reactions: Dorian2
1 - 12 of 12 Posts