The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently did a set up on my new guitar, just a turn of the truss rod and lowering of the action. It has a floating tremolo, the kind that rests against two posts, with 3 springs. The thing is, the tremolo tilts backward and I don't know why. I had the same strings on the thing as came with it. I never took them off.

Can someone tell me why my bridge is tilting back?

Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
hi
is it tilting backwards away from the neck? loosen the strings and then springs in back-and then tighten the 2 top mounting posts a bit-then retension the springs until yu reach the correct angle.
might work- a pic of it would help-

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
if "tilting backwards" means the bridge plate is higher on the 2 posts side then to me it means that your spring tention is stronger then your string tention. It also implies that the 2 posts ( screws) are too high and should be lowered.

So.... lowere the 2 post screws so that the bridge plate is sitting flat on the body. This is done with NO string tention.
Tighten the strings to pitch and the losen the spring claw so that your brige plate is floating to taste. This is ususaly 1/8 inch off the body.

Hope this helps and good luck

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tighten the strings to pitch and the losen the spring claw so that your brige plate is floating to taste. This is ususaly 1/8 inch off the body.
What do you mean by loosen the spring claw? Turn the screws that secure it to the body?

(not my guitar)

Those screws on the left?

Sorry bout the dopey questions. I'm a complete novice at tremolos.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
yes - the two screws on the left- that little peice of bent metal they hold is called the claw, and when yu back off those screws it relieves the tension on the springs- just back them off- maybe not all the way back, but until the tremelo is loose enough to pop down at the two mounting posts atop the body-
thats a good pic btw-

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Also, I adjust the trem claw on an angle because the 3 bass strings (wound) have different tension from the 3 treble (usually unwound) strings...

angle like so to keep your guitar better in tune. It will return to pitch better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts