The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try Dale’s “Gimmee Shelter” lesson. Can anyone recommend a good/basic Tremolo pedal? I tried doing a search and was quickly overwhelmed with boutique stuff.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, that Strymon does check all the boxes (included Reverb will save space on my board).

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
Damn, that Strymon does check all the boxes (included Reverb will save space on my board).
that one stayed the longest with me, broad set of options and the reverb was decent. the Swamp Thang could be made to sound like some of the bias and harmonic settings on the Strymon

·
Premium Member
18,576 Posts
This is the one pedal I regret selling. Absolutely fantastic. My only wish was that there was some way to get tap-tempo AND a favourite preset at the same time.
Doesnt it run an external tap?

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
This is the one pedal I regret selling. Absolutely fantastic. My only wish was that there was some way to get tap-tempo AND a favourite preset at the same time.
The Boss FDR-1 is the poor mans Flint.
It does the tap tempo.
Can find them cheaply.
If you don’t want the “amp colour “ check the video after 2:55

Reactions: BSTheTech

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
I had the Strymon Flint for a while, too, and also loved it.

I also had a Diaz Tremodillo which was absolutely fantastic. It's basically the same thing is a Swamp Thang. I'd recommend that as well. I played Gimme Shelter in my band for a long time with the Diaz and it absolutely killed.

·
Premium Member
26,637 Posts
Whatever you end up with, I put in a vote for a bias trem emulation. I have a Line 6 Tap Tremolo, which has a bias trem emulation that I really like. I've never been able to quite put my finger on the specifics of why bias trem is different. I just know that it is, and I like it. The unit also has envelope control, such that you can make it speed up if you pick harder. I think there are several on the market that do that.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Doesnt it run an external tap?
It does. Or you can can use an external pedal to store a favourite preset. But the Flint just has one exp/tap/fav input and the pedal needs to be restarted to switch the function, so it can only do one of these at a time. Even still, love this pedal.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a Vibro Thang years ago.

The Boss should do just fine.
Yes, my original thought was to keep it cheap/basic like a Boss or Mooer.

Beside Gimmee Shelter what are some other popular Tremolo songs? (Not counting spaghetti western funkabilly).

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
what are some other popular Tremolo songs?
  • The Smiths - How Soon is Now
  • REM - What’s the Frequency Kenneth, Crush with Eyeliner, and more from the Monster album
  • Green Day - Boulevard if Broken Dreams
  • Radiohead - Bones
  • CCR - Born on the Bayou
  • U2 - Love is Blindness (bass), and verse 2 of So Cruel has a cool tremolo part I’ve always liked
Note that some of these are more “choppy” sounds from an optical trem, while some have a smoother sine wave sound of a bias trem. You can kind of fake it a bit with the depth knob, but it’s nice to be able to choose the wave shape. The Flint has both, plus the super cool harmonic trem!

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
Yes, my original thought was to keep it cheap/basic like a Boss or Mooer.

Beside Gimmee Shelter what are some other popular Tremolo songs? (Not counting spaghetti western funkabilly).
Crimson and Clover
Rumble
Money
One of these nights (Pink Floyd)

But really tremolo is for whatever you want.

By the way, one of the best trems I ever heard was on the '69 Guitarmate I had for a few years and sold nine years ago.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Got a Keeley Super Mod Workstation on a trade that covers a lot of ground. Good tremolo options with Tap Tempo and sounds are really good to my ears. Can get some nice Flint sounds too. I use it for subtle effect.

The Boss pedal suggested is a nice pedal as well.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
Diaz Texas Tremodillo

1 - 20 of 31 Posts