The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone actually using one a lot? If so exactly in what context?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,161 Posts
In front of a vintage marshall circuit. A proper one takes you to the next level.
Define vintage as Im not sure if you mean jtm, jmp, early jcm or all of the above.

Personally i have never tried one.

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Define vintage as Im not sure if you mean jtm, jmp, early jcm or all of the above.

Personally i have never tried one.
Before the JCM800 circuit.

With a treble booster, you get that high end metal sizzle. To be fair, I've only had one Arcane TB with the OC44 (which is the preferred way to go, I believe).

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have one of those Dallas Rangemaster clones, with OC44. I don't use mine a lot, though. Mine sounds best when the amp is set to clip. I find guitars with single coil pickups (P-90 included) are easier to dial a good tone with it.

So far, I have no luck using it with the amp set to clean. Perhaps, it was not designed to work with clean amps.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what I have read also (in regards to the Marshall, fast forum jumps). I was thinking of getting one and running it into a Fender Deluxe Clone because I am a bit lost trying to get sounds

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had a older Keeley Java boost on my board for about a year now. I love it. Can't say I use it a lot, and maybe not even for its' intended purpose. I use it to change things up. I turn it on for the second half of a solo or just to get a different sound on the chords to a second or third verse.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
These are one of my favourite circuits - to build and play. In front of a British style amp (really - any tube amp) that is or is close to dirty and you have a great tone shaping option. I would recommend getting one with a tone control - the added tone shaping possibilities are well worth it. For some people these are "always on" pedals and really are a corner stone of the player's tone.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"you get that high end metal sizzle.". Will high output pickups (EBMM Axis) push that way to the extreme high end then? ( bridge is like 17.5k and the neck is 14.5k i think)

·
Premium Member
17,161 Posts
John, what tones are you trying to approximate?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Budda, if i knew that my life would be much easier. 70s Thin Lizzy? Clapton Cream era? I am all over the place.
I just am not getting anywhere with overdrives. I love the [email protected] drive but it definitely is not vintage sounding.
I dont think this answered your question, sorry, been on this quest for years
I have actually been able to get Deep Purple early 70s sound which i am ok with

·
Registered
11,945 Posts
I have a Maritime Analog Bullfrog boost with a Mullard OC44.

I'm using into my Marshall Silver Jubilee Mini.
With the clean channel just into clipping the pedal pushes it into distortion territiory.

·
Premium Member
17,161 Posts
Maybe you need to buy a marshall?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yeah well thats sorta why i went the Deluxe 6g3 route. Its supposed to be close to the first Marshalls. I also thought a 50 watt would be overkill in a basement, and I would never get the power tubes warm .

·
Premium Member
17,161 Posts
If you see an SL-5 it may be a good fit.

·
Registered
24,667 Posts
My buddy RG Keen has a nice write-up and explanation of how they work and how to build your own, right here: http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/Rangemaster/atboost.pdf

I made one for myself years back, and I described it as "instant Beano" (referring to the John Mayall album cover, not the anti-flatulence product). It used an old germanium transistor from a radio I bought with my summer earnings in 1965. I sold that one to someone and have had a devil of a time replicating the magic with other transistors. The "magic" requires that one drive the pedal directly, and that the pedal drive the input of a tube amp directly as well.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I watched the TPS vid on this and left a message asking if they run one in conjunction with the [email protected] Surprisingly Dan answered that this morning by stating that he loves to run one before the [email protected] for soloing.
That was not quite the context I was thinking of but maybe ill do some more research and pick one up. Its not like I dont have enough unused pedals now LOL

( thanks for the read)

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
TB's are amazing devices if you are the type of player who appreciates dynamic gain based on picking attack and the guitar volume/tone knob adjustments.

You have to have the right setup, ( and the right TB, they vary...) to experience the magic. In a band mix, a TB shaves off the mud while enhancing the frequencies that make a guitar articulate and focused.

It's a primitive/elegantly simple circuit. With a TB, parts selection, biasing, transister type/gain, the rest of the signal chain, sometimes even room temperature need to be considered.

TB's and Vox AC15/AC30 style amps get along real well...

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I have used them in-front of another drive (amp in a box type) or into a small amp wide open. Found them to be fantastic or complete rubbish depending on the situation, no middle ground.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts