1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I did the treble bleed mod on my Strat-style years ago but with a switch. This gave a nice dark sound with the switch off but a brighter tone for the times when it needed to cut through. One of the problems with the treble bleed mod is that it can create annoying, brittle-sounding highs when used with some overdrives and distortions. That was the original reason that I added the switch.

At one point, I was working with a rhythm guitar player who's idea of his perfect sound was a muddy "frang". The treble bleed mod was a perfect way to cut through that mess without having to get excessively loud.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I opened up my 20+ year old Kramer over the weekend, and realized I had done this mod to it many, many years ago.

The cap on mine (.01 uF) is a lot larger than typically is recommended (.001 uF or so) and so the impact on the signal is more dramatic.

I really like it, though.

When the volume pot is cranked to max, I get the full, thick, midrangey tone of the pickups, which is great for leads.

As I back off on the volume (to play rhythm bits), it not only reduces the gain but also shifts the eq toward the brighter, more trebley sort of sound that I like to use for rhythm.

It was a long, long time ago, but I remember trying a few different caps before I got the effect that I wanted.

But hey, caps are dirt cheap, and this is a fun mod to play around with (assuming you have easy access to the electronics).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did the treble bleed mod on my Strat-style years ago but with a switch. This gave a nice dark sound with the switch off but a brighter tone for the times when it needed to cut through. One of the problems with the treble bleed mod is that it can create annoying, brittle-sounding highs when used with some overdrives and distortions. That was the original reason that I added the switch.

At one point, I was working with a rhythm guitar player who's idea of his perfect sound was a muddy "frang". The treble bleed mod was a perfect way to cut through that mess without having to get excessively loud.
Do you have a diagram on how to wire in the treble bleed bypass switch??

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
lol- thats what i get for drinking all night i guess.

but really- its no different-
just put the cap/resistor on a switch lol.

·
Premium Member
17,437 Posts
Excellent!

I couldn't find a diagram like the one you posted and I gave up.

BTW...Did you see how old this thread is?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Excellent!

I couldn't find a diagram like the one you posted and I gave up.

BTW...Did you see how old this thread is?
yup. just now when davetcan pointed it out.
lol.
to be fair i didnt raise this thread from the dead myself-
twas the poster before me.
i just stumbled in.
im always stumbling into things.
thats how i roll.

·
Premium Member
17,437 Posts
yup. just now when davetcan pointed it out.
lol.
to be fair i didnt raise this thread from the dead myself-
twas the poster before me.
i just stumbled in.
im always stumbling into things.
thats how i roll.
I think it is great that you posted to help the new GC member, Rs_herhuth, who raised the thread.
Like I said, I couldn't find that diagram and quit looking.

Hopefully Rs_herhuth will see it and comment.

When a thread is this old and you revive it, chances are, you're presenting it to a bunch of new people. That's not always a bad thing.
For sure.

·
Registered
467 Posts
To add to this resurrected zombie thread, I'm surprised that nobody has advocated the stupid simple, no-cost 50's wiring treble bleed mod (so I will!) -- simply move the tone pot lead from the volume input to volume output lug.
I prefer that to playing around with different value r/c circuits, and use it in all my guitars.

I

·
0 Posts
I did it to one of my PRS, my Hollowbody. It was getting too dark when I rolled off the volume. I dig it. Took me a few weeks to really get used to it, but now I love it. Need to do it to my other PRS. You have to learn to ride the treble knob and the volume knob after the mod.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts