The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Traynor YSR-1 Custom Reverb head that I've owned and loved for nearly 40 years now. Always sounded great, very loud and clean. I had never had a single problem with it until recently. I heard a pop and the amp went dead. Found the fuse had blown, replaced it, and it blew again as soon as it was switched off standby. I brought it to a repair tech and he diagnosed one blown output tube, the other output tube failing, and a few blown resistors. He replaced the output tubes with JJ 6CA7s, replaced the bad resistors, biased it, and cleaned the pots and jacks. I also had him replace the original power cord with a 3 prong cord. I brought it home and fired it up, and my heart sank. Gone was the big, loud, clear and clean sound I was so used to. The top volume I could get was at most half of what it used to put out and it starts breaking up noticeably around 3. Volume maxes out around 5 and from there on up to 10 there it just gets more distorted with no volume increase. The overall tone is kind of ratty, mid-rangey, and constricted sounding. All of this is a far cry from what I was used to with this amp. It had a big clear tone, was incredibly loud at 2 and hardly broke up at any volume. I brought it back to the tech--and this is where I'm looking for some help. He went through it and told me he can't find anything wrong. Said everything checks out, it looks clean on a scope, and that to him it sounds like other Traynors he's had in the shop. He did mention that possibly the output transformer could have been damaged when the tube blew. I'm not very technical when it comes to tube amps and could only tell him that I knew right away that something wasn't right. He's still got the head and is trying to figure it out.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here might have any ideas about what is going on that I could pass on to the tech. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
If you haven't already, first thing is to try your speaker and speaker cable with some other amp, or try the YSR with a different spkr. cab and cable. Likewise for your guitar and guitar cord.
Is this tech experienced with tube guitar amps? If so, he probably is getting the kind of output he is used to seeing with guitar amps. Ask him what level of input signal it takes to get full power from the amp, and at what control settings.
If he's not experienced with tube guitar amps, you should probably find someone who is.
I'm very doubtful a bad tube would hurt the output transformer unless someone puts in too big of a fuse (or tinfoil on a blown fuse).

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I`ll be following this thread...

Just wondering, would the amp pushing less power have something to do with tired power caps ?

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
1) look for another reputable tech. He/she will take your word and approach it with fresh ears. Provide them with a good description of events, attempted remedies and results thus far.

My YSR-1 was loud and powerful. Btw, is yours an early non-bumper model? Mine had the circuit breaker/reset button rather than a traditional fuse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried it with two cabs, a Traynor 4x12 and a Traynor 4x10, both of which work fine with a different head and the same speaker cable. Also tried two different guitars and several guitar cables. i got the same result from the YSR-1 with everything I tried.

The tech has a good reputation and seems quite experienced with tube amps. I can see why he thought it sounded ok---however if he had heard it before it died I think he'd know what I'm talking about. The loss of volume and increase in distortion were dramatic.

I never ran it with the wrong fuse or with tinfoil.

If you haven't already, first thing is to try your speaker and speaker cable with some other amp, or try the YSR with a different spkr. cab and cable. Likewise for your guitar and guitar cord.
Is this tech experienced with tube guitar amps? If so, he probably is getting the kind of output he is used to seeing with guitar amps. Ask him what level of input signal it takes to get full power from the amp, and at what control settings.
If he's not experienced with tube guitar amps, you should probably find someone who is.
I'm very doubtful a bad tube would hurt the output transformer unless someone puts in too big of a fuse (or tinfoil on a blown fuse).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a later one with the bumpers and a fuse.

I'll have to take it somewhere else if he can't get it right.

1) look for another reputable tech. He/she will take your word and approach it with fresh ears. Provide them with a good description of events, attempted remedies and results thus far.

My YSR-1 was loud and powerful. Btw, is yours any early non-bumper model? Mine had the circuit breaker/reset button rather than a traditional fuse.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
You certain that he biased it right ???

New power tubes should be more powerfull…

I could see a drop in volume with dirty sockets on the pre amp tubes... or bad preamp tube...

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Not trying to be contrary, but from your description it doesn't sound like any tech should think it sounds ok.
You said top volume is about half what it was before, this should be obvious to him. It's not possible that your amp used to put out twice as much loudness as other Traynors in the same power class, so there must be something seriously wrong. Loudness wise it should be in the ballpark of a 50W Marshall.
If you haven't tried it out with a cab at his shop, with him listening, that should be the next step. Like Frenchy said, it could be something as simple as a dirty preamp tube socket, and that is something that could get wiggled just from the ride home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no way of knowing if he biased it correctly. And yes, I was expecting more from it with new tubes, not less.

One would think the tech would have checked the preamp tubes and cleaned the sockets but I'm not assuming anything given what's happened so far.

You certain that he biased it right ???

New power tubes should be more powerfull…

I could see a drop in volume with dirty sockets on the pre amp tubes... or bad preamp tube...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree--if I'm saying it's not the same that should be all he needs to know. If he continues to insist it's fine I'll just have to go elsewhere.

I will have to go and try it at the shop. When I first got it back he met me elsewhere with it and I didn't get to hear the amp until I got home.

Not trying to be contrary, but from your description it doesn't sound like any tech should think it sounds ok.
You said top volume is about half what it was before, this should be obvious to him. It's not possible that your amp used to put out twice as much loudness as other Traynors in the same power class, so there must be something seriously wrong. Loudness wise it should be in the ballpark of a 50W Marshall.
If you haven't tried it out with a cab at his shop, with him listening, that should be the next step. Like Frenchy said, it could be something as simple as a dirty preamp tube socket, and that is something that could get wiggled just from the ride home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't had a chance to go to the shop and listen to the amp (it's about an hour away) but I did talk to the tech yesterday. He says he hasn't found anything wrong. Preamp tubes were swapped with known good tubes and all checked out fine. Sockets are clean.

His opinion is that what I'm hearing is the difference between the old RCA 6CA7s and the new JJ 6CA7s. I could see that there might be some difference in tone or how they break up but not the severe loss of volume so I'm not sure what to think about this. Any opinions on whether this is even a possibility?

He thinks he has a source nearby for some NOS RCAs so I'm waiting to hear what happens with that.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Agree with you the tubes would not account for a severe volume difference. If they were biased extremely cold you would have noticeable volume drop but he should be able to adjust that so they are biased the same as the old.
Listen to it at his shop. Maybe something has changed since you heard it last.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts