The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am being offered an early 70's Traynor YGM2 as a partial trade.

Any comments or advice on this amp?

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
I had one for a number of years. Very nice amp. No reverb on these, which is what makes them different from YGM1 and YGM3 models.

Mine cranked it out like an 18 watt Marshall. Once I got to 7 on the volume knob, it was classic rock all the way. Great little amp that took pedals really well and was easy to move around. If the price is right, I'd go for it.

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
I have no experience with this one (I like amps with verb and prefer heads to combos).

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Yep, basically a YGM without reverb and about 5 more watts. If you are thinking of taking this just to flip, be careful you don't end up holding it: a lot of guys "want reverb" and will wait for a YGM 1 or 3. You won't get as much for it as the other models, even though it is rarer. It was slightly cheaper new because it lacked reverb but given its short run, it seems most people paid a bit extra for the reverb model.

TG

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Yep, basically a YGM without reverb and about 5 more watts. If you are thinking of taking this just to flip, be careful you don't end up holding it: a lot of guys "want reverb" and will wait for a YGM 1 or 3. You won't get as much for it as the other models, even though it it rarer. It was slightly cheaper new because it lacked reverb but given its short run, it seems most people paid a bit extra for the reverb model.

TG
That's solid advice. I don't think this is a money-maker, unless the value you're "paying" for it is very low.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I had one and sold it because I wanted reverb.

Now I have one with reverb and the reverb is way too heavy-handed. It is turned down to 1 or 2.

Also, I think the tremolo was more expressive on the YGM-2. Anyone know about that? I think there is a different implementation there...

The YGM-3 suits me better all the same. So I am happy.

Both my son and I used the YGM-2 for jazz and loved it for that. No reverb and decent headroom. Nicest tremolo ever.

These amps are popular for DIFFERENT reasons. Think carefully. You'll get good input here, but you have to know what YOU want it for.

BTW, makes a great little bass amp for practice or jammin.

The old Marsland speakers are awful, so think about that too.

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
What's the going rate for these? I've been looking for a YGM 3 because of the reverb, but if I can save a few $$ on a YGM 2 maybe I should expand my search a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts