The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever come across one of these or have any info?

I picked her up on the weekend. I thinks she's distinctively sexy. I emailed Mike at Yorkville and he thinks that they were some kind of a limited run in early 2002 but has no documentation on them.

From what I can tell, it's just a straight-up YCV40 (6l6's & 70/80 speaker) but in a fire-engine red tolex.

Anybody have any info or ever see one in a store?

________
Chris

·
Premium Member
16,960 Posts
i believe that is the first run of YCV40's that traynor put out. it was a limited run to test the waters, people liked them, and so now you have your black, wine red and blue ones :p.

i own a YCV80 myself, sweet amp it is.

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i believe that is the first run of YCV40's that traynor put out. it was a limited run to test the waters, people liked them, and so now you have your black, wine red and blue ones :p.

i own a YCV80 myself, sweet amp it is.
I was wrong about the production date (Mike got back to me again). It was a run of about 350 units between Oct/02 and May/03. I also have a black one that's older (with the thinner back panel, non-removable power cord, and glued on Traynor badge).

Seems these were custom done for some kind of a promotion (I don't think Traynor's - but they hint that it was a "retailer whose name must remain a secret"). That's why I was wondering if anybody had ever seen one before and in or from what store.

It seems physically more solid than my older black one and seems to sound sweeter. I do believe that they made a few circuit changes to the YCV40over time. It appears to have the stock tubes and speaker.

Maybe it's just that foxy colour fooling my ears. Drool

·
Premium Member
16,960 Posts
either way, its one hell of an amp *drools* lol.

i want to put V30's or hellatone 60's (avatar) into my 80, im fine with the black/silver setup. that amp has been with me for most of my music career lol (bands, shows, recording). maybe i should make mine red..hm.. :p

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've seen a couple of red tolex Traynors like that in a Long and Mcquade in Toronto, looked like they might've been used (I was in a bit of a rush, so I didn't take a very close look, unfortunately).

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
either way, its one hell of an amp *drools* lol.

i want to put V30's or hellatone 60's (avatar) into my 80, im fine with the black/silver setup. that amp has been with me for most of my music career lol (bands, shows, recording). maybe i should make mine red..hm.. :p
I had a Hellatone 30 (G12H30) in my black YCV40 for a while and really liked it - especially at band volumes. Although there are a lot of negative things said about the V30 I wouldn't mind trying one just to see. Other options I've thought about are the Eminence Private Jack, Governor, or Wizard. I do have an old Jensen lying about (from an old 60's Sivertone) that I will probably try just because I have it. The 70/80 is not really a bad speaker though as long as you temper the bass a bit at higher volumes.

Thanks for the input.

________
Chris

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've seen a couple of red tolex Traynors like that in a Long and Mcquade in Toronto, looked like they might've been used (I was in a bit of a rush, so I didn't take a very close look, unfortunately).
Thanks for the positive sighting! I figured the retailer might have to be L&M due to their size and perhaps old relationship with Traynor.

________
Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts