The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi friends,

first post, thanks for the opportunity.

i have a sweet 6v6 YBA-2A (actually 5881s currently) ... i have the opportunity to grab a 2x10 cab (have a stash of nice 8ohm, 10s)

i'm wondering will amp be happy at 4 or 16 ohms? and overall, i'm not out of line thinking i'll get more volume w/ 2x10s am i?

thank you again and happy holidays,
mike

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts
Welcome! As for me, a 4ohm 410 would totally rock that 25w head.
Pics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
You may want to look for your exact model and schematics here: Velvet Black - Models
There's also a closed Facebook group called Tao of Tone with many knowledgeable Traynor people.

I would have said it's an 8ohm head so I would wire the 2x10's for 16ohms. More volume? Not sure. I'd think you'll get more volume from a boost pedal.

·
Premium Member
12,582 Posts
You will get the most output at match impedance (i.e. speaker impedance the same as transformer tap). This is different than SS amps, which produce more power at lower speaker impedances (they act like a constant voltage source; P=V/R). Well, until you blow it up by going too low.

The good news is those old Traynors were overbuilt, including the OT. They will tolerate a 2:1 mismatch with no problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you, fellas

i put idea on hold as all the 10s i have are 8 ohm so i'd either have to wire 2x10s for 4 or 16ohm ... since yba-2a wants to see 8ohm i'm pretty sure neither of my options is optimal volume-wise.

any boost in front of amp might give me more volume but it's a more dirty volume ; ) i don't need any more gain just want what amp does ... louder.

apparently this site doesn't allow me to upload files otherwise i'd put up a pic. amp is late 60s early 70s, chrome traynor, and is squeaky clean.

thanks again,
mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts